What's new

IP address and missing Lan Port lights

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oldun

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to set up my Asus RT-AC68U router as a second router (running a VPN) on my network which has the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 as the main modem/router.

The Hub 3.0 has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and reserves 192.168.1.1 for the Guest Network.

The Asus, with the latest Asus-merlin firmware has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1. Can I simply change the IP address of the router to something like 192.168.2.1? Will this affect how I logon to the router user interface?

At the moment, when connected to the Hub 3.0, my Asus router shows lights for power, 2.4G wifi, 5G wifi. and WAN but no lights for the four LAN ports even though three of them have ethernet cables inserted.

if I remove all cables from the WAN and LAN and then link on of the LAN ports to my computer the LAN light is on.

Any ideas as to what I may have (inadvertently) changed in the router settings or what else may have caused this change. I have done a reset of the router but with no improvement!

The Asus, with the latest Asus-merlin firmware has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1. Can I simply change the IP address of the router to something like 192.168.2.1? Will this affect how I logon to the router user interface?
Yes, just log into the router and go to LAN > LAN IP and change the IP Address to 192.168.2.1. Everything else will be adjusted accordingly. Close and reopen your browser and you can now log in with the new IP address.

Yes, just log into the router and go to LAN > LAN IP and change the IP Address to 192.168.2.1. Everything else will be adjusted accordingly. Close and reopen your browser and you can now log in with the new IP address.
I am trying to set up my Asus RT-AC68U router as a second router (running a VPN) on my network which has the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 as the main modem/router.

The Hub 3.0 has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and reserves 192.168.1.1 for the Guest Network.

At the moment, when connected to the Hub 3.0, my Asus router shows lights for power, 2.4G wifi, 5G wifi. and WAN but no lights for the four LAN ports even though three of them have ethernet cables inserted.

if I remove all cables from the WAN and LAN and then link on of the LAN ports to my computer the LAN light is on.

Any ideas as to what I may have (inadvertently) changed in the router settings or what else may have caused this change. I have done a reset of the router but with no improvement!

I have to admit to the most stupid of bloomers with my request. for help with the missing LAN lights

In order to test this i switched on all the three devices (in another room) before making the final adjustments to the devices. I was then called away by my wife before returning to my testing. I did not check that the devices were still turned on before continuing. When I went back into the other room I found that my "very tidy" wife had found the unattended and apparently unused devices turn on and, very kindly, turned then off.

Not surprising all was well when I turned then back on.

I will try to be less stupid next time!!

Its nice to know that the forum (and my wife) are always there to help.

Thank you Colin. I could not believe it was that easy. I assumed there would be some sting in the tail somewhere.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!