What's new

IP address on Home Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wmmallette47

Regular Contributor
If this is in the wrong forum location, please let me know and I will or you can move it to the appropriate location.
I am setting up a new home network using an Asus RT-AX86U. I use Amazon a lot with 2 different accounts and I do not want Amazon to be able to associate the different accounts by the use of an IP address. I need to keep those accounts separate. Is there a way to structure my network so that when I log in to each account a different IP is used? I can use different devices (laptop, iPhone, iPad, etc. and never share the same device to both accounts.

Your WAN address is fixed while your LAN addresses are under your control. So not unless you get two isp accounts or static addresses and the additional hardware to support( dual wan router or two routers).
Alternative is subscribe to a vpn service that you can specify the other end node location.

Your WAN address is fixed while your LAN addresses are under your control. So not unless you get two isp accounts or static addresses and the additional hardware to support( dual wan router or two routers).
Alternative is subscribe to a vpn service that you can specify the other end node location.
I do use a VPN (Nord VPN - have no ides if it is good or bad). How do I specify the end node location?

many vpn service providers give you a list including location of the exit node. You will have to look at their guide as i don't use it.

many vpn service providers give you a list including location of the exit node. You will have to look at their guide as i don't use it.
So do VPN services not mask your WAN IP also? Seems pointless to mask the LAN IP while leaving a WAN IP as a means to track you all the same.

What ip address does your pc show when connected to your network ?
What ip address does your router show (wan address assigned by isp) ?
The latter is the address that goes across the internet.

Network Address Translation, NAT, occurs in your router. That is what maps your internal lan addresses to the wan address provided by the isp when you request a web page from a server somewhere on the internet. When that server sends the response back to your router’s wan ip address, the router reverses the process through NAT and pushes the web page to your pc.

Here is a simple test that will display the ip address that the internet sees from your request of a web page. Run the shields up test. There are a couple pages of ads and other text to go through to get there.

you want the page with this about halfway down. The 4 sets of numbers after the text below are the public ip address assigned to your router wan port.

The text below might uniquely
identify you on the Internet

Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the following "machine name":

Now use your Nord vpn and run the same test. The ip address should be different.

Last edited:
What ip address does your pc show when connected to your network ?
What ip address does your router show (wan address assigned by isp) ?
The latter is the address that goes across the internet.

Network Address Translation, NAT, occurs in your router. That is what maps your internal lan addresses to the wan address provided by the isp when you request a web page from a server somewhere on the internet. When that server sends the response back to your router’s wan ip address, the router reverses the process through NAT and pushes the web page to your pc.

Here is a simple test that will display the ip address that the internet sees from your request of a web page. Run the shields up test. There are a couple pages of ads and other text to go through to get there.

you want the page with this about halfway down. The 4 sets of numbers after the text below are the public ip address assigned to your router wan port.

The text below might uniquely
identify you on the Internet

Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the following "machine name":

Now use your Nord vpn and run the same test. The ip address should be different.
And running this is safe? The disclaimer is scary, lol

it gives me a reverse DNS address that seems appropriate to my ISP when not using NordVPN. When I sign in and connect through NordVPN it shows what you see in the photo. Is this a good thing to see? Does this mean it is hiding my WAN IP as well as assigning me a LAN IP?
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 12.22.30 PM.png

Last edited: