What's new

IP Camera, Smarthomes and LINUX

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MikePolinowski

New Around Here
Hello SNB Forum,

I can see several threads here that pick up the topic of how to integrate an IP camera - locally running, not a cloud camera - into smarthome setup.

QNAP, Synology, ASUSTOR, etc. are the obvious turn-key solutions. But is anyone here interested in building their own system? Maybe on a Raspberry Pi - or more likely something a little bit more powerful if you want to handle video streams from several cameras, e.g. Intel NUC ?

I built several solutions for this based on free, open-source software. Those can handle everything from software-based motion detection, video recording to automating tasks for IP cameras - like automated camera tours, environment variables that switch the alarm on/off depending on if you are home or not... etc.

Among the software I used are MotionEye, Shinobi, ioBroker, Node-RED, Home Assistant and a few more.

Anyone else here who is using them? Or interested in getting started?

kind regards

Mike

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!