What's new

IPTV works for a few seconds then signal lost

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vasyl83

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

As I previously stated my ISP is Bell Canada and I have FTTH with them. It provides me with TV and internet.

Because of the IPTV service I am stuck using their router. If I remove it and plug my ac66u directly into the ONT I can get internet working, but IPTV doesn't seem to work for more than a few seconds.

I have the impression that something isn't properly routed. But I have no idea how to figure out what or how to set it up.

Has anyone succeeded in removing Bell Canada connection hub and only using your own router?

What I was able to figure out for now:

IPTV uses dhcp to acquire an IP in 10.*.*.* range
There also seems to be some traffic or broadcasts made in 239.*.*.* range (check the screen shot)
IPTV traffic is on VLAN ID 36
Internet Traffic is on VLAN ID 35
IGMP must be on (duh!)

With all that info I go into IPTV tab and select:
ISP Profile: Manual
Internet VID:35 PRIO 0
LAN Port 4 VID:36 PRIO 0
LAN Port 3 untouched since my PVR is connected to port 4

Use DHCP routes: Microsoft
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) : Enable
Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping): Enable

With all that my PVR acquires an IP in 10.*.*.* range and any channel works for about 10 seconds before telling me that the signal was lost.
When I change the channel it does the same, works for about 10 seconds and signal lost.

I am presuming that some broadcasts or IPs are not properly forwarded but I have no idea where to start...

Anyone more knowlegable know what to do?

Thanks!

P.S: The reason why I want to get rid of Bell's router is because it lacks features I need (VPN server/client and optware) plus if I leave it in place but delegate PPPoE to my asus it disconnects and resets itself when I reach my full speed (and it resets my tv as well)

Ninja edit: attachments seems to be resized here is the imgur link

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 2.25.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 2.25.55 AM.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Also disregard all that HPNA stuff on the screenshot as I can only see that 239.*.*.* IP if revert completely to Bell's setup, but it works as well by ethernet or coax with Bell's setup

I would imagine your are authorized video service by modem mac address. You might want to call Bell and see what the procedure is to change out modems/routers.

Quick follow up,
I will be abandoning my idea for removing Bell's connection hub.
I called them and they flat out told me that even though what I am trying to do is doable they will not provide me with information on how to do it.

I know that I need to clone my mac address and tag internet packet with vlan id 35 and tv packets with vlan id 36. I know that I need to set up routes for 10.*.*.* and 239.*.*.* but what gateways I need to use I cant figure it out.

Is it possible to put a computer with 2 NICs between Bells router and the ONT and simply sniff all the traffic to figure out exactly what goes where?

And if yes how would I do that?

Hi vasyl83,

I see we are in the same boat. I have been working on this issue for a while now but with no success. The only reason I see why TV is not working is that the STB needs access to VLAN35 as well as VLAN36. The box needs Internet access.

Merlin's version of the firmware is the only one I've been able to have partly working as you said; TV for a few minutes... All others (DD-WRT and Tomato) don't even connect though PPPOE. I am poubnding on DD-WRT but support is ... i'm not saying it.

The goal is to have port 4 (STB port) of Merlin's build to get all incoming vlan36 but to selectively send vlan35 or 36 based on destination (I guess...).

tcn

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!