What's new

IPv4 with DHCP and IPv6 with PPP + DHCP-PD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fbreve

Regular Contributor
I use both a Peplink Balance One router and an ASUS RT-AC86U router in my home setup. That's because I have two ISPs and Peplink is great at load balance, but it sucks at QoS. Asus is the other way around, great QoS and other stuff, but awful Dual WAN support.

So the Asus router gets a private IP from Peplink and Peplink sends everything to it through a 1:1 NAT. Everything is great in the IPv4 world.

However, Peplink does not support IPv6 properly, it only has a passthrough setting to send IPv6 packets along to the network devices. In this case, I'd like the Asus router to get the prefix through DHCP-PD. However, since Asus is getting IPv4 through the automatic setting (DHCP only), it does not give me an option to get the IPv6 through PPP. So it does not work. PPP is only available when IPv4 is provided through PPPoE.

Is there any workaround to make the Asus router get the IPv6 prefix through PPP? Maybe some shell script?

Thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!