What's new

IPv6 LAN Name resolution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
I'm probably misunderstanding how IPv6 works, but when running

Code:
nslookup -query=AAAA HOSTNAME

on my LAN, I'd expect it to find the ddress of the target machine. Do I need to get dnsmasq to do something on ipv6, or am i missing how ipv6 works with name resolution?

That's something I'm doing some reading on. This is what happens when I learn something new but don't so nearly enough research...

I guess since they only have link-local they won't register in DNS?

Clients are Windows 10 machines.

how are you assigning IPv6 addresses? Stateful or Stateless?
I have noticed that if you want Windows PCs to show their IPv6 addresses in DNS (nslookup), you need to use Statefull on the IPv6 setup page.

That's something I'm doing some reading on. This is what happens when I learn something new but don't so nearly enough research...

I guess since they only have link-local they won't register in DNS?

Clients are Windows 10 machines.
If it is link-local only, then it won't register in DNS.

how are you assigning IPv6 addresses? Stateful or Stateless?
I have noticed that if you want Windows PCs to show their IPv6 addresses in DNS (nslookup), you need to use Statefull on the IPv6 setup page.
Does Asus/Merlin support DHCPv6, which I guess I need in the absence of ISP ipv6 support? Or am I unable to do IPv6 assignment without an IPv6 ISP?