What's new

IPv6 not working with Merlin 378.50

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zaxcom

Regular Contributor
I just got an RT-AC66R and an Arris 6183 modem. My provider is TWC and they supply dual stack IPv6 in my area.

I went directly from the built in firmware on the router to Merlin 378.50 and configured the router for my needs.

The problem I am having is even though I am getting IPv6 addresses on all my equipment I fail every IPv6 test out there and when I have it enabled I cant even go to some sites. I had to turn IPv6 off.

Here are some snaps of what I am seeing on the router and on my computer.

Any clue as to why my IPv6 address does not seem to be routable to the outside world.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 343
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 555
I just got an RT-AC66R and an Arris 6183 modem. My provider is TWC and they supply dual stack IPv6 in my area.

I went directly from the built in firmware on the router to Merlin 378.50 and configured the router for my needs.

The problem I am having is even though I am getting IPv6 addresses on all my equipment I fail every IPv6 test out there and when I have it enabled I cant even go to some sites. I had to turn IPv6 off.

Here are some snaps of what I am seeing on the router and on my computer.

Any clue as to why my IPv6 address does not seem to be routable to the outside world.

Thanks!

I really think you should just try the suggestion I gave you yesterday in this thread. Remove the IPv6 DNS server settings you've input into the GUI (in the middle section below the native IPv6 info that will load automatically once you set "Native").

You don't need to separately supply the "IPv6 DNS Setting" info, as you've done (as depicted in your #2 pic above), since you have IPv6 set to "Native". With "Native" you need to set IPv6 DNS Setting to "Connect to DNS Server automatically" (i.e., "enabled"). This will automatically load the IPv6 settings you need.

Again, look at the GUI photo I posted yesterday for DNS in IPv4, since this is the ONLY DNS info you need to supply. In other words, once you set your DNS to use, for example, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS servers), the IPv6 settings from Google will be supplied automatically if you have IPv6 set to use "Native" IPv6 directly from Google's servers.

Don't take my word for it. Give it a try and see if it doesn't work for you.

But maybe someone else will come along and give you some different info and then we'll both learn something new.

I guess I didn't follow what you were saying, i.e., that you wanted to be able to allow all inbound traffic from the WAN side into your LAN.

There's a lot of info available on that subject. See, e.g., this link, which contains the following useful info:

February 9, 2013

IPv6 Prefix Delegation and Firewall Rules

Networking

Many service providers will supply their customers with a block of IPv6 addresses using DHCP based Prefix Delegation. This is described in RFC 3315.

When configuring your traffic filter or firewall on your router, you will need to remember to allow DHCPv6 traffic on your outside interface.

DHCPv6 uses UDP port 546 client side, and UDP port 547 on the server side. As it will be your WAN interface that is behaving as the DHCP client, you will need to:
•allow OUTBOUND traffic with a SOURCE port of 546 and a DESTINATION port of 547;
•allow INBOUND traffic with a SOURCE port of 547 and a DESTINATION port of 546.

Without these rules, you won't get a prefix and there'll be no IPv6 for you!

The question is whether you must create the exceptions for 547 and 547 in the IPv6 firewall, or whether it's merely sufficient for those ports not to be otherwise in use by another application so that they are available when needed under "Native" DHCP6.

Hi,

not to "hijack" your topic, but i'm seeing something similar on my RT-AC68U. Running 378.50 too and i've tried it with the last official Asus firmware. But i run the device in Media Bridge mode.

IPv6 works perfect over the wireless but with the device on cable behind the MEdia Bridge fails. It's getting an ipv6 address but no outbound traffic is possible.

No that is not what I was saying. What I was trying to say was that I had no IPv6 function at all. Even though I was getting an IP, it would not route. By opening those two ports I now have a working IPv6 address.