What's new

IPv6 ULA addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FlyByWire

Regular Contributor
I have a dual stack light account at my ISP and right now I'm trying to get IPv6 working on my RT-AC86U with PIhole. Main concern right now is, as the IPv6 address of the PI is changing frequently, PIhole stops working as the IPv6 for DNS upstream is not valid anymore. The Easiest (and even possible only?) solution might be enabling ULA addresses for IPv6 in the Router. Many Routers seem to have just a checkbox for that. I could not find anything on the Asus for that.

Aditional Question: As right now, All my network clients do have a 2a00 Adress assigned. Does that mean, they all are reachable from outside my network? If so is there a way to prevent that and keep them protected?

Any idea?

Last edited:
Even if I do not understand how, the network clients (specially the PI) have been assigned a fe80 Address which is flagged permanent. All I can say right now is, it worked for 2 days now. Hope this will continue.

Link-local fe80 addresses and ULA fc00 addresses are local. They can not be used to reach your devices externally.

External addresses (in your case those starting with 2a00) can not be accessed from outside your network because the firewall is enabled by default.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!