What's new

Is 86% RAM Usage Too High for Comfort?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just finished configuring my new RT-AX86S router which comes with 512MB RAM. Nothing too fancy, just using the various GUI based functionality like an OpenVPN Server, AiProtection, AiMesh, a couple guest networks, and QoS. I haven't connected the rest of my network to it yet (ie: just one client so far) and I noticed that after a reboot the RAM usage sits at around 86% with about 70MB free. Is this too high for comfort? Is 70MB enough to handle about 20 clients (wired and wireless) and a 500Mbit internet connection? Or will I run out of RAM if those clients end up opening up too many connections? Should I be upgrading this to an RT-AX86U router with 1GB RAM, even though I don't need the extra CPU cores, or the 2.5Gb port?

Thanks
Harry
I just finished configuring my new RT-AX86S router which comes with 512MB RAM. Nothing too fancy, just using the various GUI based functionality like an OpenVPN Server, AiProtection, AiMesh, a couple guest networks, and QoS. I haven't connected the rest of my network to it yet (ie: just one client so far) and I noticed that after a reboot the RAM usage sits at around 86% with about 70MB free. Is this too high for comfort? Is 70MB enough to handle about 20 clients (wired and wireless) and a 500Mbit internet connection? Or will I run out of RAM if those clients end up opening up too many connections? Should I be upgrading this to an RT-AX86U router with 1GB RAM, even though I don't need the extra CPU cores, or the 2.5Gb port?

Thanks
Harry

As Ripshod displayed, assess Free vs Cached Vs Used memory before getting concerned. I have 1GB of memory on my router and have never had an issue despite the Web Interface saying it was 95%-> 97% used. Merllin 388.2 Beta 1, Skynet, AdGuard Home in Cache mode handing 8 parallel upstream DNS servers with DSN SEC over TLS, and YAZI all running on my router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!