What's new

Is anybody interested in 8+2 10GbE switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gocoax

Regular Contributor
We checked Amazon, found full 10GbE switch is very expensive.
For example, Netgear XS708E, QNAP QSW-1208-8C-US, Buffalo BS-MP2008, Netgear XS508M, TRENDnet TEG-7080ES and so on.
Almost all of them are above $500.
We think the price is too high.
If we build a similar one. Are you interested in it? How much do you want to pay for?

You should ask the site owner before touting for business and dropping links to your company website.

Last edited:
I would assume permission was asked. :)

Yes! I've had the Netgear GS110MX in my Amazon wish list for almost a year. I think I only need two 10gbe copper ports; one for the NAS and one for my main PC. Perhaps I need something different, but have not figured it out yet.

Yes, but make it truly manageable (CLI/WEB/SNMP) as well. If you could do that with 8 ports for <$300, I'd be all over it.

Last edited:
Yes! I've had the Netgear GS110MX in my Amazon wish list for almost a year. I think I only need two 10gbe copper ports; one for the NAS and one for my main PC. Perhaps I need something different, but have not figured it out yet.
GS110MX is unmanageable 8xGbE+2x10GbE. Is it useful for end users?

GS110MX is unmanageable 8xGbE+2x10GbE. Is it useful for end users?

I prefer unmanaged switches because I keep a very simple home network. I understand there are many other use cases that are different from mine, so only take this as a survey of one person. :)

I think I only need two 10gbe ports, one for the NAS and one for my main PC. I think it is important to have some 1gbe ports with the 10gbe switch so it can efficiently connect to the rest of the network.

If by 8+2 you mean 8x 100/1000 + 2x 10gbe, then ASUS has been making such a switch 10p XG-U2008 for some time.

I would also look into possibilities to disrupt the aggregation and/or data-center form factors, with higher-capacity 40/100GB up-links. I know it seems lightyears away and total overkill, especially for this community, but as long as your running the numbers, might as well go all the way up the vertical.

I'd love to see an affordable full 10GbE switch - especially if it had its Ethernet ports/power connector on the back panel, with port/power indicator lights on the front panel (like Asus XG-U2008) for desktop use.

I would also look into possibilities to disrupt the aggregation and/or data-center form factors, with higher-capacity 40/100GB up-links. I know it seems lightyears away and total overkill, especially for this community, but as long as your running the numbers, might as well go all the way up the vertical.

40G/100G silicon is still cost prohibitive...

10GB/nBase-T is getting close to this target market.

We checked Amazon, found full 10GbE switch is very expensive.
For example, Netgear XS708E, QNAP QSW-1208-8C-US, Buffalo BS-MP2008, Netgear XS508M, TRENDnet TEG-7080ES and so on.
Almost all of them are above $500.
We think the price is too high.
If we build a similar one. Are you interested in it? How much do you want to pay for?

Get one of these if you don't have to use RJ45.
MikroTik CRS305 or CRS309.

You can get 2 10Gb nics and direct attach them for a reasonable price these days. Then just add a switch later if you really need it. Getting a used 2 port Nic is a cost effective way to give a bit of extra expansion

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!