What's new

Skynet Is default firewall good enough?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So later I will put your theory to the test and process each list together for duplicates. I will generate my own ip list doing the wc before and after.

The following table is copied directly from: https://github.com/firehol/blocklist-ipsets

A firewall blacklist composed from IP lists, providing maximum protection with minimum false positives. Suitable for basic protection on all internet facing servers, routers and firewalls. (includes: bambenek_c2 dshield feodo fullbogons spamhaus_drop spamhaus_edrop sslbl ransomware_rw)​
ipv4 hash:net​
2094 subnets, 613957376 unique IPs​
updated every 1 min​
An ipset made from blocklists that track attacks, during about the last 48 hours. (includes: blocklist_de dshield_1d greensnow)​
15225 subnets, 28990 unique IPs​
updated every 1 min​
An ipset made from blocklists that track attacks, spyware, viruses. It includes IPs than have been reported or detected in the last 30 days. (includes: bruteforceblocker ciarmy dshield_30d dshield_top_1000 malc0de maxmind_proxy_fraud myip shunlist snort_ipfilter sslbl_aggressive talosintel_ipfilter vxvault)​
17878 subnets, 30610 unique IPs​
updated every 1 min​

The following table is copied directly from: https://github.com/firehol/blocklist-ipsets

A firewall blacklist composed from IP lists, providing maximum protection with minimum false positives. Suitable for basic protection on all internet facing servers, routers and firewalls. (includes: bambenek_c2 dshield feodo fullbogons spamhaus_drop spamhaus_edrop sslbl ransomware_rw)​
2094 subnets, 613957376 unique IPs​
updated every 1 min​
An ipset made from blocklists that track attacks, during about the last 48 hours. (includes: blocklist_de dshield_1d greensnow)​
15225 subnets, 28990 unique IPs​
updated every 1 min​
An ipset made from blocklists that track attacks, spyware, viruses. It includes IPs than have been reported or detected in the last 30 days. (includes: bruteforceblocker ciarmy dshield_30d dshield_top_1000 malc0de maxmind_proxy_fraud myip shunlist snort_ipfilter sslbl_aggressive talosintel_ipfilter vxvault)​
17878 subnets, 30610 unique IPs​
updated every 1 min​
Yea I am not in a disagreement. My curiosity is whether the firehol list is kept up-to-date with all the latest entries from each list they include, or is it lagging behind. Also, I am curious to see if firehol removes things they consider to be "false positives" when generating their list.

Yea I am not in a disagreement. My curiosity is whether the firehol list is kept up-to-date with all the latest entries from each list they include, or is it lagging behind. Also, I am curious to see if firehol removes things they consider to be "false positives" when generating their list.
I'm also pretty certain that if Skynet encounters any dupes, it will handle them appropriately.

I'm also pretty certain that if Skynet encounters any dupes, it will handle them appropriately.
If I remember correctly the script uses some simple awk magic to purge duplicates as well. I simply include those lists in my setup incase they get updated before firehole. Atleast entries would be more up to date. There is also no telling if firehole removes anything from the list that they deem to be false positives.

Will do when i'm home, remind me if I forget in a pm. Was a false positive I got ages ago.
@Kingp1n

Probably an anti climax, but this one.

37.244.54.10 comment "ManualWlist: roblox"

Here are my others, these have all had false postives in the past. With the exception of the dns servers which are precautionary.

Whitelist
9.9.9.9 comment "ManualWlist: quad 9 dns"
1.1.1.1 comment "ManualWlist: cloudflare dns"
8.8.4.4 comment "ManualWlist: google dns"
37.244.54.10 comment "ManualWlist: roblox"
23.227.38.74 comment "ManualWlist: govee lights (shopify)"
128.116.119.3 comment "ManualWlist: battlenet2"
37.244.28.102 comment "ManualWlist: battlenet1"
91.199.81.1/24 comment "ManualWlist: phasmophobia full range"
http://mirror.ossplanet.net (rpi/linux update)
https://www.animal.co.uk/ (clothing website)

Last edited:
hi, cant post to skynet thread, its older than 6 months

is there any way i can disable the whitelist fully? i dont want it.
i remove comments containing CDN, it removed them all
it re-downloads at some point, usually after adding a blocked domain / country i think
i have disabled auto update too
i have also disabled CDN whitelisting

i need to block countries, regardless of CDN servers

Example
i block netherlands
i can still see google and amazon servers connecting to it because of the whitelist.

i know it can break youtube and legit services
i dont care, its only temporary.

hi, cant post to skynet thread, its older than 6 months

is there any way i can disable the whitelist fully? i dont want it.
i remove comments containing CDN, it removed them all
it re-downloads at some point, usually after adding a blocked domain / country i think
i have disabled auto update too
i have also disabled CDN whitelisting

i need to block countries, regardless of CDN servers

Example
i block netherlands
i can still see google and amazon servers connecting to it because of the whitelist.

i know it can break youtube and legit services
i dont care, its only temporary.
Do you have Diversion installed? If yes maybe check the hardcoded setting from there or sf for shared whitelist etc.

From Diversion menu I believe it is el > 1 >8 (hard coded whitelist setting)

Interestingly I just ran a load of speed tests with skynet on and skynet off.

With it off I average about 1050 download, with it on I average about 900 download.

Now I have the dilemma of speed vs security.

Last edited:
Interestingly I just ran a load of speed tests with skynet on and skynet off.

With it off I average about 1050 download, with it on I average about 900 download.

Now I have the dilema of speed vs security.
:eek::eek::eek: I'd understand your dilemma if the speed differences are huge. Security. lol

:eek::eek::eek: I'd understand your dilemma if the speed differences are huge. Security. lol
150 is huge imo,I put it back on anyway, probably out of paranoia.

I don't see, how skynet could throttle download speed?

Skynet shouln't have any impact in traffic speed, right?

Last edited:
I remember various articles in the past that address why bandwidth takes a hit when skynet is running (many blaming AIProtection, Flow Cache or other settings), but I don't think anyone has come up with any real solutions... Oh, someone else said that by changing Skynet to monitor only inbound connections vs. both inbound and outbound may have an effect as well.

Examples:
Speedtest giving strange value
Unbound Manager COUNTRY exclusion to play nice with Skynet?

I remember various articles in the past that address why bandwidth takes a hit when skynet is running (many blaming AIProtection, Flow Cache or other settings), but I don't think anyone has come up with any real solutions... Oh, someone else said that by changing Skynet to monitor only inbound connections vs. both inbound and outbound may have an effect as well.

Examples:
Speedtest giving strange value
Unbound Manager COUNTRY exclusion to play nice with Skynet?
It only happens when you run skynet to block outbound and the third party services disclaimer is accepted. It is a combination of both. Essentially whenever the trendmicro engine is running and skynet blocks outbound the router himself will use the routers cpu partly on speed tests while clients are not impacted on speedtests.

It only happens when you run skynet to block outbound and the third party services disclaimer is accepted. It is a combination of both. Essentially whenever the trendmicro engine is running and skynet blocks outbound the router himself will use the routers cpu partly on speed tests while clients are not impacted on speedtests.
If NAT acceleration is disabled, will client speed impacted?

Do you have Diversion installed? If yes maybe check the hardcoded setting from there or sf for shared whitelist etc.

From Diversion menu I believe it is el > 1 >8 (hard coded whitelist setting)
no i dont,
installed it, and its just for smallnetbuilder i believe.
it still populates all the CDN's once i delete them anyway

anyone know how i can post to the proper skynet forum?

Do you think it would be ok to just run trend and forget skynet? Or are you saying it's a false speed check reading on the router side, just due to cpu usage.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!