What's new

Is it a good or bad idea to split SSIDS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, I say "aluminum", you say "aluminium" (wait this was supposed to be about tomahtos, hahaha).

There are good and valid reasons all-around regarding SSID assignment. If whatever method floats your boat, then go with it. There's no right or wrong answer here.

No split, I just use Mac Filter accept on 5ghz to only allow, my computer and daughters laptop , and conversely 2.4ghz reject to stop them going onto 2.4ghz. Works flawlessly for me. I don't want cell phones going on 5ghz and messing up my gaming so they can't get on it. Controversial I know, but anything that tickles the purist ocd is a winner in my book :D
I use a common SSID, but have one client that misbehaves. The ‘Mac Filter’ method has fixed it! Thanks!

Voice traffic is very small.

Goes back to the early days of desktop SIP phones - you know, the Cisco IP desktop handsets that were deployed 15-20 years ago, where they were pretty sensitive to any delays over ethernet - so Cisco's remedy was to deploy a dedicated VLAN with QoS tagging specifically for Voice.

Downstairs in our factory, where we made a million mobile phones a month, line supervisors had handheld WiFi handsets that also support PTT mode (walkie-talkie) over the same VoIP VLAN/SSID.

Back in the day, it was absolutely essential to have that dedicated VLAN/SSID for voice due to QoS considerations.

That's the benefit of running a managed platform with Layer 3 switching and the appropriate Gateway/Router/Firewall on the edge.

We had over 150 Dual Band WAP's and 3 SSID's - one for corp PC's, one for VoIP, and one for Guests and BYOD devices. Those SSID's were based on the VLAN ID, and not on the radio bands.

Goes back to the early days of desktop SIP phones - you know, the Cisco IP desktop handsets that were deployed 15-20 years ago, where they were pretty sensitive to any delays over ethernet - so Cisco's remedy was to deploy a dedicated VLAN with QoS tagging specifically for Voice.

Downstairs in our factory, where we made a million mobile phones a month, line supervisors had handheld WiFi handsets that also support PTT mode (walkie-talkie) over the same VoIP VLAN/SSID.

Back in the day, it was absolutely essential to have that dedicated VLAN/SSID for voice due to QoS considerations.

That's the benefit of running a managed platform with Layer 3 switching and the appropriate Gateway/Router/Firewall on the edge.

We had over 150 Dual Band WAP's and 3 SSID's - one for corp PC's, one for VoIP, and one for Guests and BYOD devices. Those SSID's were based on the VLAN ID, and not on the radio bands.
It all depends on what kind of network you want to build. I think layer 3 switching with VLANs is a good thing.

Last edited:
I use a common SSID, but have one client that misbehaves. The ‘Mac Filter’ method has fixed it! Thanks!
I use a common SSID, but previously with a device that misbehaved I'd set up a guest SSID for that device to force it onto 5GHz. MAC filtering for me didn't work, as if the device really wanted to connect to 2.4GHz it would only connect to 5GHz intermittently trying 2.4GHz repeatedly instead.
Currently, all the 5GHz devices I want on that band will switch to it of their own accord if not immediately, but within a few minutes.

Not an Asus thing.

Even customers who don't want to buy new Asus routers get relief when I set their networks with 2 SSIDs.

So how does your Wi-Fi calling roaming work this way? I guess not.

Last edited:
I don't use WiFi calling roaming. Nor does anyone else I know.

I do and it is important to me.

I guess there are a lot of different levels of networks out there. Some lower levels than others.

Not lower-level. Likely it is just more robust.

WiFi calling isn't a feature, it is a fix to/for another problem.

Speaking of calling, @L&LD I've got to say up front I'd never ever considered spending $400 on a freakin' phone, but "Motorola" dropped their price to that (and Lenovo followed suit, eventually) on the "Think Phone". My wife, bless her heart, told me to get one. Now I'm telling you: get one. It's the closest I'll most likely ever get to a "flagship" phone. I'm extremely impressed and bet you'd be too.

Surely there are people buying phones that would like to use Wi-Fi calling? Wi-Fi calling works so well I can't even imagine not wanting to use it. All calls I make out of my house or I receive are Wi-Fi calling calls. So, I pretty much use it every day.

I see no reason to pay for any kind of LAN line when Wi-Fi calling is free for use.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!