What's new

Is it an issue that my ethernet won't show up as the name of the Wifi Broadcast name?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jusjohn55

Regular Contributor
The router broadcasted a name for our wifi as "Mom_Use_This_One". I just got my brother and I ethernet cables. When he plugged his in, it showed the ethernet as the current wifi name. My ethernet cable is showing up as "Asus_10", the factory resetted name of the wifi, instead of the wifi's current broadcasted name. Is this an issue and how do I get this to be the current name? Also, is there a reason why my ethernet is giving me much faster speeds but it is unstable. For one of the games I play, it goes from 20 to 60 then back down to 20.

Also, is it better to plug in the ethernet cable into the modem or router? Cause whenever I plug in the ethernet cables into the modem, it boots off the 2nd PC that is connected to it via ethernet and only allows one. Even though it has 4 ethernet ports.

Last edited:
Also, is it better to plug in the ethernet cable into the modem or router? Cause whenever I plug in the ethernet cables into the modem, it boots off the 2nd PC that is connected to it via ethernet and only allows one. Even though it has 4 ethernet ports.

You need to plug the cable into a LAN port on the router as your ISP will in most cases only give you one public IP. The only exception to this rule is you think you are have Internet problems disconnect your router plug a PC into into the modem then power cycle the modem and the PC.

Use caution with the link below (particularly the part about editing via Regedit).

How to change network names on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

Do not plug in your computer to the modem directly. You are exposing your device to all the malware possible on the internet without a firewall between you. That is what the router provides.

@CaptainSTX is correct. Your modem/ISP is only providing you with one external IP address. That is why only one device works when you try to plug in a second one.

Connect your devices either to the Wi-Fi or the LAN ports of your router to be protected and secure.