What's new

Is it possible to change 5Ghz channel on RT-AC66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PhilosopherSe7en

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I have some problem with wifi range on my Asus RT-AC66U. I was hoping that setting channel some where over 100 would solve my problem. For some reason I cant set channel to anything over 48.

So is there any way to change this so I can get better wifi signal?

Last edited:
Hi.

I have some problem with wifi range on my Asus RT-AC66U. I was hoping that setting channel some where over 100 would solve my problem. For some reason I cant set channel to anything over 48.

So is there any way to change this so I can get better wifi signal?

Depending on your region - not legally...

Install hggomes' firmware, you'll get all 5GHz channels.
Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 12.53.07.png

Thank you :)

Is it as easy to just download the firmware and write it to RT-AC66U, or do I need to change anything in the firmware first? I read somewhere that I need to edit the firmware. Not sure it this applies to every firmware or only some of them.

Thank you :)

Is it as easy to just download the firmware and write it to RT-AC66U, or do I need to change anything in the firmware first? I read somewhere that I need to edit the firmware. Not sure it this applies to every firmware or only some of them.

Very easy to download and flash on an Asus router. But a proper reset to factory defaults is a must. Also, read the Change log file as it has additional pointers that other firmware isn't capable of.

Be sure to follow the link below to make sure you don't end up with phantom glitches and a sure fire plan to get back to where you were.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

A few more questions:

Were do I find hggomes firmware? The thread I found had only broken links.

Do I need telnet to take backup up front, write the firmware and to clear nvram when writing is done? Or can it be done using the web ui?

A few more questions:

Were do I find hggomes firmware? The thread I found had only broken links.

Do I need telnet to take backup up front, write the firmware and to clear nvram when writing is done? Or can it be done using the web ui?

PM @hggomes for the link.

I recommend using the gui, instead. Details in the link.

Very easy to download and flash on an Asus router. But a proper reset to factory defaults is a must. Also, read the Change log file as it has additional pointers that other firmware isn't capable of.

Be sure to follow the link below to make sure you don't end up with phantom glitches and a sure fire plan to get back to where you were.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

I followed the instructions on the link but I cant figure out where theese settings are. I have looked everywhere in the router web-ui.

• Disable media server.
  • Disable network share.
  • Disable NFSD.
  • Disable FTP.
  • Change device name (if needed), set Force as Master Browser and indicate the Work Group name (these steps are optional for some home users).
isnt it easier to just change the region to something like canada and then the upper channels will become usable

It wont work. No matter what region I set on my router it only allow for channel 36-48 before writing hggomes firmware

Sorry to revive the old thread, but I still couldn't solve the issue - I cannot access any channel higher than 44 in the 5GHz WiFi (German RT-AC66U). Telnet commands do not have any effect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!