What's new

Is it possible to use a VPN like this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dueliest

New Around Here
Greetings network guru's, I am new here and I signed up to purpose a network topology I have searched for hours online to no avail.

Id like to try and setup a dual router config (primary ddwrt, secondary pfsense) where both are on the same subnet and route only specific port traffic through vpn hosted by pfsense box. So far I have the basics mapped out, disable nat and dhcp on pfsense box, those being handled by the gateway router. Naturally set static ip on secondary within gateway lan subnet. I want it to just handle the openvpn client and route responses back to local gateway for lan clients. I have wondered if I need two physical interfaces on the pfsense box and vlan one on the gateway for proper packet flow, but I figure that because the tunnel isn't link layer the pfsense box could still route packets over the same Ethernet connection the tunnel is on just simply decrypted and re-framed?

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something though, otherwise this config should be much more ubiquitous (VPN dummy appliance wink wink). I know there is other ways around this problem but the main goal is to simply offload the VPN encryption calculations to a box better suited for high speed without complicating the net-worx or forcing all connections through the sublan/vpn. I'm open to hypothetical options. For the time being security of the VPN machine is not in the equation.

Any links, guides, advise, or suggestions will be appreciated. If I ever do get this project working the way I like I might do a right-up for it here. Thanks.