What's new

Is MU-MIMO working on ASUS RT-AC87U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NowhereMan

Regular Contributor
SO, is MU-MIMO available for this router yet?
I bought this router about a year or more ago and used it for a few weeks. Then I got on a beta test with the TP-Link AC C2600 Archer along with a AC1750 (RE450) Range Extender, a perfect combo for my house. My upstairs man cave had weak WiFi signals, so this range extender was perfect to put up there and give me a great signal.

I've been using these units ever since. Tried to sell my ASUS, but no avail, I'm curious though, is the ASUS router considered a better router vs. the TP-Link I have?
Should I try to throw it into the mix with my current gear or maybe drop the TP-Link and get an ASUS extender and use ASUS? I've had no real issues with my TP-LINK which is great when you have picky customers such as a 5 and 7 year old and a wife using WiFi all the time. Soon we'll have some kind of gigabit Internet (Cox or Google) as they start entering our neighborhood this fall. Maybe I just hold out and wait for that before I buy any new equipment?

MU-MIMO only provides a benefit with two or more MU-MIMO devices.

What specifically are you trying to address / solve?

I'm not trying to really address any specific issue, but more so just trying to address the question of using the ASUS now instead of my Archers C2600 which has MU-MIMO.
It runs well and I have no issues, so wondering if I brought up the ASUS now and swapped out the TP-LINK if I would possibly see a performance hit, if the ASUS doesn't have the MU-MIMO yet? Thats all. So if its now working and enabled etc, then it would be a good test to swap out and see what happens, if its still not there, then I guess I won't waste any time right now. Thats all I'm wondering. Thanks.

I have MIMO on my AC5300 and let me tell you this, it is one big gimmick. I don't see any benefits to it and it's still in alpha stage.

I have MIMO on my AC5300 and let me tell you this, it is one big gimmick. I don't see any benefits to it and it's still in alpha stage.

Yeah I guess I figured as much, I mean you really need the products to be MU-MIMO to take advantage of it right? I'm really just more trying to figure out which of my two wireless routers is better and if I should still try to sell this ASUS one or not. Its less about MU-MIMO I was just digging through the old threads and thought I'd ask if this was enabled yet on the 87U?

I mean you really need the products to be MU-MIMO to take advantage of it right?
As I said, you need TWO MU-MIMO devices to get any benefit from MU-MIMO. And those devices need strong signal levels.

And from my testing so far, only QCA-based MU-MIMO routers (AC2600 class) have working MU-MIMO, despite manufacturer claims for Broadcom-based AC3150 / AC5300 products.

As I said, you need TWO MU-MIMO devices to get any benefit from MU-MIMO. And those devices need strong signal levels.

And from my testing so far, only QCA-based MU-MIMO routers (AC2600 class) have working MU-MIMO, despite manufacturer claims for Broadcom-based AC3150 / AC5300 products.

OK thanks. Guess I'll stick with the AC2600 router for now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!