What's new

Is someone using my router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Transformed

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have a Asus RT-AC66U router i have it password protected for wireless, but i noticed that every once in a while it shows someone logged on and also in the system log DHCP leases their computer name shows up and i have a pretty tough password is there something i am missing here, i have changed my pass words a couple of times but it is still happening. i turned down the transmitting power to see if that helps. any suggestions welcomed.

What name shows up? Are you using WPA2? Do you have WPS disabled?

Does anyone have physical access to your computer and/or router? Are your kids sabotaging your security efforts somehow? (Pulling at straws here).

What firmware are you running?

Have you run a recent av scan on your system (thorough)?

How long after you change the password do you see this computer name in your logs (if almost immediately, your system has probably been infected with a keylogger of some sort).

I am using WPA2 and Wps was not disable, I thought since i had wireless password protected it covered all, I disabled WPS I am not an expert in routers with all these options, no one has physical access to my computer or router. Firm ware 3.0.0.4.378_9533. My computer is scanned completely at least monthly, Advast, malware bytes, it is not right away that the computer name pops back on my system, so by me having WPS enabled you think that is how it is happening? thanks for your help if there is something else i need to do please advise.

Got Windows 10? Microsoft set the default privacy option to share your wifi password with "friends" and it could have gotten leaked that way.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No i haven't given up yet still running Windows 7 and very few pass words do i let it remember. thanks for the heads up when i do go to windows 10.

Hello, I have a Asus RT-AC66U router i have it password protected for wireless, but i noticed that every once in a while it shows someone logged on and also in the system log DHCP leases their computer name shows up and i have a pretty tough password is there something i am missing here, i have changed my pass words a couple of times but it is still happening. i turned down the transmitting power to see if that helps. any suggestions welcomed.

Check WPS and Guest Network support - if I recall, there was an Asus bug related to this - devices might attach, given a IP address via DHCP, but not allowed access past the captive portal - but gives confusing info on the Router WebUI in the various pages...

WPA, WEP, and TKIP have all been hacked. If you must use WPA/WPA2 setting, restrict the encryption type to AES. If you have a device that requires TKIP or WEP, you'll need to replace it. And, of course, don't set authentication to OPEN (just in case some newb reads this and decides that since "open" wasn't listed here that it was secure).

I had a hacker neighbor before I moved to my current address, and if I used anything that had a known exploit, he would be on my wifi in minutes.

I am using WPA2 with encryption type AES/ is there a better way besides this, to use Wi-Fi? Thank Yawl for all the advise I can surely use it.

Did you take note of the MAC address and when the lease is being obtained? You should be able to use the MAC address to determine the hardware connecting which might help narrow the scope of hardware. Also, you can whitelist devices and have everything else blacklisted so only trusted MAC addresses can connect. I do that myself.

I am using WPA2 with encryption type AES/ is there a better way besides this, to use Wi-Fi? Thank Yawl for all the advise I can surely use it.

WPA2/AES is very robust - having a strong passphrase is always a good thing - as long as you have this in place, and like mentioned earlier, turning off guest network, you're good to go as far as the wireless side..

Check settings on the router however - shouldn't expose any external services...

These suggestions are great, I wish i was brave enough to load some third party software to monitor each connected device as you can tell from my questions i have trouble using what i have already, I am afraid of bricking my router. Thanks everyone for your help.

You should be able to see the MAC address of the "intruder" right there in the wireless log of the router's web interface. Also, does the network map of the router indicate what sort of device the offending item is?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yes it list as a computer, but since i disabled WPS and cut the transmitting power to 70% I haven't saw it show back up. Maybe this will take care of it. Thank You PUPPA!

Yes it list as a computer, but since i disabled WPS and cut the transmitting power to 70% I haven't saw it show back up. Maybe this will take care of it. Thank You PUPPA!
WPS has a history of security flaws. I'm not sure if it's safe to use even today. I've seen some devices that require it. Probably best to turn it on when if needed then back off.

WPS has a history of security flaws. I'm not sure if it's safe to use even today. I've seen some devices that require it. Probably best to turn it on when if needed then back off.
Hello Texas Flood, I may give it some time and turn the transmitting power back to a 100% and see if WPS was how they were getting in. I wish I knew more about computers and Routers and all the ways you can communicate with them. it looks like Wireless and Wi-Fi are the ways of the future ( I better get more knowledge) if i am to keep up! Thanks for your input I didn't know about WPS until i started using this Forum, I have gotten a lot of information here Great Forum!

Hello Texas Flood, I may give it some time and turn the transmitting power back to a 100% and see if WPS was how they were getting in. I wish I knew more about computers and Routers and all the ways you can communicate with them. it looks like Wireless and Wi-Fi are the ways of the future ( I better get more knowledge) if i am to keep up! Thanks for your input I didn't know about WPS until i started using this Forum, I have gotten a lot of information here Great Forum!
There's no way to be sure it's a WPS problem, but it's certainly a likely suspect. Keep an eye on it and report back if the issue shows up again.

Good luck Transformed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!