What's new

Is the RT-N66U trash?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dikkiedirk

Regular Contributor
Been following the review-thread of the RT-N66U and saw today this thread was closed a couple of weeks ago. Is this a sign on the wall? Have SNB given up on this router? I had high hopes for this router, but the ASUS-support seems to be non-existent, here in the Netherlands at least:mad:.
Well I knew this already, that is why I don't get any stuff from them anymore:rolleyes:.

Do any of you know if there is something like an "ultimate" fw for this router, in which port-forwarding for instance for torrent-clients works as it should?

Or is it best to ditch it and move on to something better. Any ideas for an alternative:confused:?

Or is there alternative firmware that is actually working:)?

Closed ecause the thread was HUGE ,not because the router is not good , topics were getting lost .The best FW is the one that works for YOu . I'm on 112 and it works well for my needs , others are on .108 ,or custom buils or Tomato .
Nothing wrong with the router

Indeed, nothing wrong with the hardware, and the software is getting better. Asus are actively developing the firmware (a new version is expected before the end of the month), Tomato is now using an up-to-date driver that helps a lot with its performance, etc...

I'd say right now, there is no ultimate firmware, as they all have their drawbacks. Keep in mind that this router has only been available for a short while, so the various firmware projects will require some time to mature. But as long the hardware is fine, there is nothing preventing us devs from improving the software side, it's just a matter of patience.

Thanks you all so far. I'm a bit relieved now and stay with the RT-N66u for a while longer. I haven't upgraded the fw yet, afraid to break it. I just can't seem to foward ports for my torrent client though. If anyone could help me with that? Also what setting should I use in 2.4 GHz? Auto, 20 or 40 MHz? When I use 40 MHz Windows tells me connected at 300 Mbps at 20 its 130. But I doubt that those values are true.

Thanks you all so far. I'm a bit relieved now and stay with the RT-N66u for a while longer. I haven't upgraded the fw yet, afraid to break it. I just can't seem to foward ports for my torrent client though. If anyone could help me with that? Also what setting should I use in 2.4 GHz? Auto, 20 or 40 MHz? When I use 40 MHz Windows tells me connected at 300 Mbps at 20 its 130. But I doubt that those values are true.

Port forwarding works fine for me, both uPNP and manual. Most people with port forwarding issues resolved them by resetting their router to factory default, and reconfiguring it.

2.4 GHz channel width will depend on how much interference you have in your area. If you have cordless phones in the 2.4 GHz band or you have neighbours with strong router signals, best to keep it to 20 MHz. It will indeed cut your bandwidth in half then. I recommend using a program like inSSIDer to see what kind of interference your might have from neighbour routers.

I'm going to be a little lazy here and not re-read through all the posts on here, but is there still some issue with the QOS? I didn't really pay attention before because I never use it, but I may have cause to use it in the near future and wanted to know if it was ok or causing problems at this point.

I flashed the latest tomato on my new 66u and it kicks the crap out of my old Cisco e4200v1. My throughput has over doubled transferring files between computers inside my network, and signal strength is amazing.

Port forwarding works fine for me, both uPNP and manual. Most people with port forwarding issues resolved them by resetting their router to factory default, and reconfiguring it.

2.4 GHz channel width will depend on how much interference you have in your area. If you have cordless phones in the 2.4 GHz band or you have neighbours with strong router signals, best to keep it to 20 MHz. It will indeed cut your bandwidth in half then. I recommend using a program like inSSIDer to see what kind of interference your might have from neighbour routers.

Can you please explain how you do this port-forwarding? For bittorrent.

I think you just need to make sure "Enable UPnP?" is set to yes
in the WAN->Internet Connection page.

You can check the ports that are forwarded in the
System Log->Port Forwarding web page.

If this doesn't work, you will need to manually set port forwarding using
the web page WAN->Virtual Server / Port Forwarding. You can look at
this post for some help.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...model=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Note that some bittorrent clients pick a random port to use every time
it starts up. If you manually set the port forwarding, you will either
need to disable this feature, of redo the port forwarding every time
your client starts up.

If your torrent client supports uPNP (like uTorrent), just enable uPNP - that way, it will automatically forward the correct port, even if having your client set to a random port.

Don't forget to also make sure that appropriate port is open in your computer's firewall, and that you aren't double natting by having NAT on both your router and your modem (which would also prevent port forwarding from working).