What's new

Is Thecus ok brand for NAS systems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Armornone

Occasional Visitor
Hello.

Are the Thecus brand any good for NAS systems?

My requirements are simple, I need something to store a lot of data in a RAID 5 configuration so I can recover from a drive dying.

I will store Movies( stream to a popcorn hour) and music, pictures, documents. Pretty much what every home user does.

I currently have a small Buffalo system but I am looking to expand to something with a lot more hard drives.

Can anyone tell me how reliable it is? How loud is it? Does it recover from hard drive failure ok,etc..?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello,

THECUS is a very good brand NAS. We have been selling THECUS for over 5 years and have many happy customers.

Please call us pre sales support at www.mnmsystems.com and we will be more than happy to guide you accordingly.

Support
mnmsystem.com
Network Storage anyway you want it.

Read reviews here on SNB and spend time looking through these forums and forums from NAS vendors. Thecus has an official forum as well as a user run forum. Check them both and educate yourself.

My recommendation for NAS brands are:

1) Netgear Readynas
2) Synology
3) Qnap

Assuming you use RAID 1 or 5 (redundancy) all should recover from a single disk failure. That said, there are cases where RAID fails to provide the level of redundancy that will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, so I ALWAYS recommend you backup your data. RAID is not backup. All three NAS vendors above offers solutions for you to backup your data locally and offsite.

As far as noise, that will depend on the NAS model selected and the disks used. Check the reviews. If you choose to purchase a diskless model and populate the bays yourself please make certain to only purchase disks on the NAS vendors disk compatibility list. Everyone has a compatibility list and they can be somewhat different so do your homework.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!