What's new

Is there a better way to do this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ComputerSteve

So I use diversion on my router. I setup an OpenVPN server so that I can use diversion adblocking on my iPhone. I notice though that on the iPhone the internet gets so slow through the VPN. Is there another way to use Diversion Adblock with your phone away from home. Meaning make the VPN Faster?

The speed of the VPN on your phone away from home depends on the upload speed of your ISP, and the download speed of the ISP you're connected to. In addition to the site you want to connect to eventually, of course.

Nothing you can control (all the time).

Roaming on a cellular network back to your home via vpn, only to then hairpin back out your home WAN AND then that data gets back to your home and through the vpn to your phone over the cellular network... VERY inefficient.
Thats more a proof of concept practice than practical IMO.

Just find a decent ad blocking service/app such as adguard and give that a go on the mobile.

So I use diversion on my router. I setup an OpenVPN server so that I can use diversion adblocking on my iPhone. I notice though that on the iPhone the internet gets so slow through the VPN. Is there another way to use Diversion Adblock with your phone away from home. Meaning make the VPN Faster?

Apple offers the facility to install a DNS profile.
Adguard’s is here…….

Roaming on a cellular network back to your home via vpn, only to then hairpin back out your home WAN AND then that data gets back to your home and through the vpn to your phone over the cellular network... VERY inefficient.
Thats more a proof of concept practice than practical IMO.

Just find a decent ad blocking service/app such as adguard and give that a go on the mobile.
I don't agree. Cell network nowadays are faster than what you think and efficient enough to tunnel my connections to the home network and out. It could be the router's capability and the service speed that makes the difference though.

Unrelated to the question of enhancing the home vpn but relevant to my suggestion as well as treadlers post.
I run adguard in place of pihole. Great functionality and easy to maintain. Which is why i suggested their app product for your mobile.

Whatever you choose, enjoy.