What's new

Is there a WiFi scanner that shows bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Channel bandwidth, i.e. 20/40/80 MHz?
What apps have you tried?
Yes I mean channel bandwidth 20/40/80/160. I downloaded a couple free apps like "WiFi analyzer" from the play store(android) but none show the bandwidth as far as I can see. Can you suggest an app that does?

I hate downloading a bunch of free apps to my phone just to try them out because they don't always uninstall cleanly. I tried a couple more in the list in the playstore and found one that shows the bandwidth. The one I found is called WiFi analyzer made by Webprovider

I've come to rely on WiFiman from Ubiquiti - tend to trust them more than most other devs. It'll show you Speed, Channel Width, and Distance to each node. It's audible report of signal strength and Link History features are useful in exploring heat maps and roaming hand-offs. Requires location be enabled, but they all should because Google.

Great tool as long as it worked...... However it has stopped working now. Re-install doesn't help. I get an icon in the task bar - that's all. No window is created. The only thing possible to do is to close the icon.

Did you reboot your PC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, several times!

It has happened to me before too. Do not give up just yet. Make to sure to uninstall the program. Clear tour browser’s cache and then reboot. Then try to install program again.

Cleared cache and rebooted. Then tried to installed again.

Same result.....

Searched for all files with winfi in the file name and found a lot of them. Deleted all of them (both directories and files). Re-started and re-installed.

This time a large black window opened up. Something seems to be loading but nothing happens.

upload_2020-3-14_17-38-28.png

After some time I got an error message:

upload_2020-3-14_17-39-31.png

Nothing more. I'm clueless........

However, on the Helge Keck home page, there is a note telling us that WinFi is not available in Microsoft Store and that it needs to be downloaded from the Helge Keck home page.

Maybe something was changed in a recent Microsoft update that stopped WinFi to work correctly?

Cleared cache and rebooted. Then tried to installed again.

Same result.....

Searched for all files with winfi in the file name and found a lot of them. Deleted all of them (both directories and files). Re-started and re-installed.

This time a large black window opened up. Something seems to be loading but nothing happens.

View attachment 21917

After some time I got an error message:

View attachment 21918

Nothing more. I'm clueless........

However, on the Helge Keck home page, there is a note telling us that WinFi is not available in Microsoft Store and that it needs to be downloaded from the Helge Keck home page.

Maybe something was changed in a recent Microsoft update that stopped WinFi to work correctly?

It is possible and at that time I also did blame my issues to Microsoft updates but wasn’t able to pinpoint which one. I should mention that I went for a while this program (don’t remember exactly how long) and then one day when I tried to install it again from the developer’s website. It downloaded without any issues and it is currently working just fine.

I use WiFi Explorer and it shows the info you need. They have a Pro version and a free version. The free version works great for my needs.

Edit: WiFi Explorer Lite is the free version.

Edit #2: I just realized this is a Mac only program so sorry if you don't use Mac.

I use WiFi Explorer and it shows the info you need. They have a Pro version and a free version. The free version works great for my needs.

Edit: WiFi Explorer Lite is the free version.

Edit #2: I just realized this is a Mac only program so sorry if you don't use Mac.

Yep, I agree. I also use WiFi Explorer on my Mac.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!