What's new

is there an android app to enable/disable vpn client on ax88u router from my samsung s23 phone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eltell69

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys
I've just got a samsung s23 phone and am looking to use an ssh app to control my ax88u vpn. I wonder if you could recommend an app that is free and easy to use. I tried using Far Commander but it seems intermittent in enabling my vpn client 1. I have 3 clients set for various servers but unable to switch from client1 to 2 to 3 via the phone app is this normal. Also when I do manually change from client 1 to 2 then my pc's home page doesn't changed to the servers country as it does on client1 server, I've tried various settings but unable to enable the client switch. Please advise or have a better and easeier app to use. Thanks for your help

Hi Guys
I've just got a samsung s23 phone and am looking to use an ssh app to control my ax88u vpn. I wonder if you could recommend an app that is free and easy to use. I tried using Far Commander but it seems intermittent in enabling my vpn client 1. I have 3 clients set for various servers but unable to switch from client1 to 2 to 3 via the phone app is this normal. Also when I do manually change from client 1 to 2 then my pc's home page doesn't changed to the servers country as it does on client1 server, I've tried various settings but unable to enable the client switch. Please advise or have a better and easeier app to use. Thanks for your help

Uh well Asus router app on stock firmware would something to try, but unsupported on Merlin. (Some functionality works just not supported)

SSH wise any client app should work if you’re using it via ssh. I use webssh on iOS but Terminus is good and available on android.

Could also use a Remote Desktop application like VNC if you have a computer on your network that way you can control via your web browser.

If your hosting a VPN server you could access your routers interface directly using the local ip of the router via browser.

I don’t recommend opening your routers interface to the internet directly.

Hi DJones I don't know what you mean by 'but unsurpported by Merlin' as I use Merlin firmware and I used to be able to control the vpn via the shortcuts app on my iphone but I don't know if it was able to change vpn clients from 1 to 2 to 3 as I never used it for that. When I used the iphone shortcuts app my Browser actually changed to the country the server was in but on the samsung it's a rather intermittant is this normal as compared to iphone.
I'v looked at Termius and it looks complicated as I think I can get into the router(host) but not sure what the other steps are(commands) or to out them in.

I used to be able to control the vpn via the shortcuts app on my iphone
There is an android app called "SSH Button" that allows you to setup homescreen buttuns which sends an ssh command when pressed. Ive tried it and it works.

Its not anywhere near Shortcuts and it looks kindof old-ish but its the only Android app I found to do this.

Hi Zeb SSH Button isn't on the google play store now but I'm trying to use 'far commander'. I can get the vpn client1 ON and OFF but when ON the Browsers home page doesn't show the vpn's server country I've tried various things but don't know why as when using shortcuts on the iphone it was so easy and the country showed in the Browser location. Any Ideas.

Well I 've sussed it out why the browser wasn't showing the vpn servers country, It's because in the ax88u's network settings on the vpn client's settings the accept dns configeration was set to 'exclusive' and the redirect internet traffic through tunnel was set to 'vpn director policy rules' ( I thought that the vpn would allow streaming using this setting) but when changed to 'strict' and redirect traffic to 'yes all' the browswer showed the correct vpn server country.