What's new

Is this a bug on Asus firmware? WAN disconnections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wan disconnection and and having to reboot the router sounds pretty similar to me, but maybe you didn't read entire post in link above. Cheers.
I did read the posts in the link. They are talking about routers that "lock up" and become completely non-functional.

Admittedly, I didn't read all of the 250+ posts in this thread, but they appear to be talking about a specific issue with the router's WAN interface going down and not automatically coming back up (for various reasons). I can't see any posts whatsoever where they suggest that the router has "locked up" in anyway. In fact everything else appears to be working (i.e. LAN to LAN, router access), it's just a WAN/DHCP issue.

my problem was connecting to my router from the WAN side using SSH tool with dynamic tunneling. So it fits the WAN disconnection issue.

But By luck I did try one more thing which I thought it was unrelated, I was trying to stream video from VUDU, despite the network test inside VUDU suggesting I had plenty of bandwidth to stream HDX quality, i was getting alot of buffering pauses, to diagnose I enabled "Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)" in Tools->Other settings, this had the effect of disabling the CTF feature (Cut Through Forwarding). I had already disabled FA (flow accelerator before this topic), my WAN disconnection is finally gone, also my video stream buffering issue so far seems to be gone as well, I have to do a few more streaming test to be 100% sure.

I don't recall if I disabled FA via nvram command
nvram set ctf_fa_cap=0
nvram commit

or
LAN->Switch Control->Nat acceleration (disable)

So for now by Nat traffic is processed by CPU only, but at least everything seems working without custom
scripts.

Wan disconnection and and having to reboot the router sounds pretty similar to me, but maybe you didn't read entire post in link above. Cheers.

Reactions: lev
my problem was connecting to my router from the WAN side using SSH tool with dynamic tunneling. So it fits the WAN disconnection issue.

So for now by Nat traffic is processed by CPU only, but at least everything seems working without custom
scripts.

Your solution has fixed my issue with my crappy ATT U verse DHCP from the gateway/modem. I also do not use CTF as I use QOS. Many thanks.

I'm glad my script was helpful for you. My other experiment disabling CTF+FA only helped video streaming buffering issues not the WAN disconnect issue. The stream buffering issue in my case has to be related to CTF+FA since I have Gigabit Internet service. Now that I have them disabled the same video streaming services suddenly work better.

I also understand I have a slightly different type of WAN disconnect than what this topic was started for, i thought the title was a good fit.

this is a small update, not trying to reopen this topic, I've learned a few things since then, ISP and Company firewalls can cause Wan connections to drop with Deep Packet Inspection. My new Router is RT-AC3200 it had less Wan dropped connections than RT-AC68u but still a few a day, but recently DPI started dropping ssh connection to WAN almost every 60 seconds, Solution was to setup ssh connection through stunnel on port 443, making ssh connection look like any other SSL traffic, then connections became very stable. hopefully this little info will lead someone in the right direction, before wasting a lot of time.
I installed entware a while ago to a usb stick mounted to the router, entware had stunnel package.