What's new

Is Wireguard better than OpenVPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

For a simple remote connect back home when traveling, access the Router and that mostly, I need something light and fast, will Wireguard perform better than OpenVPN? Thanks

NOTE: Using AX88 with the latest 388 FW

Performing better and being better is not the same thing.

Yes, it would have a performance advantage.

With how new/unproven this is, I would say no to being better. Need more data.

For a simple remote connect back home when traveling

For a simple remote connect back home when travelling you need nothing fast. Your AX88U can do >200Mbps on OpenVPN. Good enough. How many hotels will give you faster Internet access anyway? How many countries you travel to offer unlimited mobile 4G/5G data on your cellphone? OpenVPN Connect app is available for iOS and Android. OpenVPN Client Connect is available for Windows. OpenVPN client(s) are available for Linux.

Wireguard on Asuswrt may harm your router's performance. It's incompatible with NAT acceleration. Double check before you go this route.

Well, Wireguard does work well but for quick, secure connection between an Android or iOS device Instant Guard is great!
Is Wireguard Better than OpenVPN? Maybe. For me I have more years with OpenVPN and feel more secure with it. Just an "old guy" thing...

OpenVPN works on every device and with server on double NATed router. Instant Guard works on limited devices and requires public IP. There is no need to set two different VPNs and use different apps/clients for your phone/tablet and laptop. No official Instant Guard client for Windows, for example.

Just FYI: I’m using WireGuard in a double NAT environment (the AX88U is behind a Nokia 5G router), and it’s working well - and very fast!

I’ve used OpenVPN before in double NAT environments, and you take a performance hit for doing that.

Performance hit for doing what? OpenVPN or double NAT?

How very fast is Wireguard on AX88U? I guess, around 350Mbps. OpenVPN can reach about 250Mbps. Does it really matter when travelling?

While travelling, if your connection drops briefly - even if your IP address changes, WireGuard keeps on truckin’

But I’m no WireGuard zealot. I’m new to it, but a very happy convert.

Performing better and being better is not the same thing.

Yes, it would have a performance advantage.

With how new/unproven this is, I would say no to being better. Need more data.

Is this still the case now? We are almost 2 years further and I have read here and there and many say that WireGuard is better than OpenVPN. They don't close out OpenVPN just saying that WireGuard is coming hard and being strong. Now in 2023 and entering 2024 many say that WireGuard is better than OpenVPN I was wondering what your opinion/experience is on it?

I haven't seen any changes to WireGuard that have made me decide to use it. And yes, I have tested it on multiple occasions.

For my uses, OpenVPN still reigns supreme (security, above all).

And I like to see what/when is connected to my router too. It is very hard to see that with WireGuard, easily.

I haven't seen any changes to WireGuard that have made me decide to use it. And yes, I have tested it on multiple occasions.

For my uses, OpenVPN still reigns supreme (security, above all).

And I like to see what/when is connected to my router too. It is very hard to see that with WireGuard, easily.

I would love your reaction on this forum/topic:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wireguard-vs-openvpn-2023-24.87917/

based on your opinion and experience.

Nothing changes for that other thread.

RMerlin and the others said about as much as can be said.

To me, they aren't equal, they are different.

If you need speed and you're using an underpowered consumer router (all of them) then maybe WireGuard is something to consider. Otherwise, OpenVPN is again, to me, far more flexible, feature-rich, and simply superior.

Nothing changes for that other thread.

RMerlin and the others said about as much as can be said.

To me, they aren't equal, they are different.

If you need speed and you're using an underpowered consumer router (all of them) then maybe WireGuard is something to consider. Otherwise, OpenVPN is again, to me, far more flexible, feature-rich, and simply superior.

Thank you L&LD for your input on it. Yes, RMerlin has said some good things that hopefully will help newcomers/laymen to understand the difference in functionality of them both. I'm also still learning about the main differences and functionality of them both. I have a ASUS RT-88U PRO Merlin and I have OpenVPN and WireGuard. With OpenVPN depending on the VPN provider the Internet speed is very different and variants. mostly speed is lower than when I use the WireGuard. the speed of WireGuard is exactly that of the ISP. The thing I just ask myself is the Encryption, Security, and Privacy of WireGuard?