What's new

Is [WTFast] the Same thing as [AES-NI]?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wallace_n_Gromit

while looking through the specs of the Asus RT-AC86U (which I have been informed supports AES-NI) I see that it supports [WTFast] without mentioning AES-NI in their specs. I know that Faster VPN speeds are possible with the Hardware encryption afforded by AES-NI.

So is [WTFast] merely a copyrighted/trademarked name that Asus calls the AES-NI capability?

For comparison I see that the Asus RT-AX68U does NOT support [WTFast]

So is [WTFast] merely a copyrighted/trademarked name that Asus calls the AES-NI capability?

I don't think so. Asus FAQs call it an intelligent server network for gaming.

OE

WTFast is basically a VPN that connects to servers belonging to WTFast, which claim to offer better routing to various gaming server than your ISP does.

WTFast is basically a VPN that connects to servers belonging to WTFast, which claim to offer better routing to various gaming server than your ISP does.

Whats worth adding the router version has nothing to do with an actual program because it does not offer custom games and all hosts are routed to antarctica and you get additional 100ms while on real program u sometimes get lower ping if your routing is bad to some servers.

Soooo, maybe the proper way to look at it is that AES-NI is the HW capability, and WTFast is the VPN software/firmware that uses AES-NI to more quickly transmit data, i.e. increase bandwidth?

Just doesn't make sense that a HW feature such as AES-NI isn't somehow marketed/promoted/mentioned (except at snbforums regarding substantially improved VPN performance) UNLESS it is a feature that perhaps another piece of software/firmware makes use of, and then that piece of software/firmware is promoted as a feature, such as WTFast.

EDIT: https://wtfast.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...-difference-between-the-WTFast-GPN-and-a-VPN-
Encryption: wtfast does not encrypt or modify traffic. We relay traffic to the target server “as is”.

If this info is correct, WTFast would not benefit from AES-NI. (i.e. Intel® AES New Instructions)

Last edited:
Soooo, maybe the proper way to look at it is that AES-NI is the HW capability, and WTFast is the VPN software/firmware that uses AES-NI to more quickly transmit data, i.e. increase bandwidth?
No. WTFast as absolutely NOTHING to do with AES-NI or bandwidth.