What's new

Isp ipv6 to asus ax82u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TrebleTA

So another day another question.
So I am with sky broadband, router sr203 and have a asus ax82u.
I have to use there device, so did what many have done and set my isp device with most turned off wifi dhcp and on my asus static wan ip etc. So all works but I now want to get the Ipv6 to work.

So I will link what I have on my isp device

So what do I need to use from the above to get it working on my asus anyone set this ip before?

P.s I tried Passthrou and was like my asus was a bit strange as thinking was the isp device, and take me to a connect to wifi page.

Last edited:
I select native on the asus and my isp device shows a ipv6 address for it, but the asus has nothing.
Screenshot_20221126-014732_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221126-014752_Chrome.jpg

So you obscured your ISP device MAC address and posted online your public IP address? Interesting...

When your own router is in double NAT behind ISP device you have to use Passthrough mode, not Native.

Why do you want IPv6 to work? Any specific reason to have it enabled?

There is no need to disable DHCP on the ISP device.

Last edited:
My isp is ipv6, and fulls back to ipv4.
I was going to cover more, but think what's the point half way, would be like a page from the x files half missing.
I was thinking i could set it with a static ip, like I did for ipv4.
Passthrough acked strangely

You have IPv4 address assigned to your ISP device. What is not working for you?

Your next questions are going to be how to prevent VPN IPv6 data leaks, why is my QoS not working properly, why my DNS filtering service is not working anymore, why I see sometimes 1sec delay in page loading, what Asuswrt-Merlin scripts support IPv6, etc. Are you ready?

Passthrough is your only option in double NAT. Disabled if you don't need IPv6.

It is simple in most cases, but with available IPv4 address you'll get no benefits from IPv6. Only eventual complications depending on what do you run/use and what devices you have. Do you trust your IoT devices, for example? Do you want them to have direct access to Internet? Do you want your ISP to see all your devices? Asuswrt is a mix of IPv4 only and IPv4/IPv6 components. What you want is creating another door to your network.

Thanks for saving me time messing with it, it's just not worth it as you say.
I'm with Sky and use a combination of an AX11000 connected to the ONT and a couple of XT8s. Like you I tried using IPv6 as it's available on Sky. However, it didn't take me long to realise I wasn't actually getting any benefit at all and the disadvantages soon became apparent, not the least of which was trying to run a VPN :(

My only gripe now is that, despite being on an unlimited FTTP service, Sky do throttle. Can't wait to get back to good old BT in due course!

If the asus ax82u device was connected to the bt openreach ont, i would select native, and yes, it was still broken when I tested, first via a web site, 2nd via a ipv6 game. Yet on the isp device was fine, i tried different ipv6 setups to.

So really as was said, the asus ipv6 control is minimal, let alone the other reasons.

From what I read, they had stoped the throttling, but not checked for FTTP

If the asus ax82u device was connected to the bt openreach ont, i would select native, and yes, it was still broken when I tested, first via a web site, 2nd via a ipv6 game. Yet on the isp device was fine, i tried different ipv6 setups to.

So really as was said, the asus ipv6 control is minimal, let alone the other reasons.

From what I read, they had stoped the throttling, but not checked for FTTP
Don't believe the claims by Sky that they've stopped or don't throttle, it's BS. It kicks in around 40gb. Never had any problems with BT who I was with for a couple of years previously, so I've just got to live with it for the duration of the contract :(

Yep, I even raised a thread here to see if anyone could identify any problems with my AX1100 and I followed advice given, which included a complete reset of the system. The thread is here
Initially I thought the complete reset had resolved the matter but I've since discovered that whenever I get near a download of around 40 gb (admittedly not that often tbh) the connection stops. I then have to reboot the router and all is back to normal - until I need to d/l another large file!

I can't understand why any ISP needs to throttle a FTTP connection and Sky deny they do so on their forums. Unfortunately it's not true.

The way to test if your throttled is via a vpn.
Losing connection sounds like a issue. I don't lose connection, but have not had time yet, to run a vpn test, to see if I get the same speeds.
Over lan, I am downloading about 145mbs on my line.

I ran some tests back in early October and there wasn't much difference in speed with or without a VPN (most of the time I'm using the VPN as it auto connects whenever I boot my PC). I'm on a 900 Mb plan and with Nord engaged usually manage around 850, tested with Ookla; the test you linked above is coming in at around 810. When the connection drops after attempting a large download I can't even connect to a speed test, hence having to reboot the router to re-establish a connection. Only happens if the file is around 40 gigs, so not that frequent but it never occurred when I was with BT.

When downloading you can not access the device/site, sounds like a QOS issue. Or bufferbloat.
I would report a fault to sky about the disconnects, see what they say. I have downloaded over 1tb, with out problems or disconnecting.
Not sure what QOS you use but for me I have to manualy set my download 2mb less than I get, same for upload. Else accessing stuff is bad. At mo useing adaptive with manual setting.

Never used the supplied router and tbh I'm reluctant to try as everything works fine, large files excepted! This means I'm hesitant to raise the issue with Sky as the first thing they'll have me do is connect their router lol. My current 'workaround' is to pause any very large file when it gets to about 35 gig and resume it shortly after, which doesn't cause any problem.

I'm not an expert on ISPs and networks but I'd naively assumed that as Sky is basically using the same infrastructure as BT (ie Openreach) and say they don't throttle, I'd get the same level of service as I did with BT.

You should do almost, only difference is, due to there DLM, is just under BT.
You may see a drop in speed but when you sign up should give you values, like was told I should get 148mb to 150.8mb, and i get 150.4mb on the routers speed test.
I was getting DC after doing torrents, or big downloads, some time ago on FTTC when they check my line 4 times by engineers. That got sorted, but lost speed and performance, 5th engineers said was the green cab, and would not do anything more, apart from get me FTTP a bit quicker.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online