What's new

ISP's DHCP unable to lease a new IP, ethernet connection drops every 24h

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sidlauskas

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have Huawei B2368-66 LTE CPE and have a problem, that the ethernet connection is dropping every 24h (when ISP's DHCP should issue a new IP). My ISP says that everything is ok on their side and the problem is on my side. I tried to reset B2368-66 to factory settings, but it doesn't help. How I can figure out where the problem is?

Ethernet connection to what, a PC, a router, etc? Another forum member experienced the same problem with his Asus router connected to an LTE modem.

Ethernet connection to what, a PC, a router, etc? Another forum member experienced the same problem with his Asus router connected to an LTE modem.
Ethernet connection drops on LTE modem itself. I also had similar setup previously and used B2368 as a bridge (IP passthrough), but had the same problem with connection drops every 24h and thought that it's the Asus router. Now I'm using B2368 alone with the factory settings, but the problem still persists.

Last edited:
Have you tried playing around with the aggressive / continuous DCHP setting?

Have you tried playing around with the aggressive / continuous DCHP setting?
I tried to play with these settings when I used B2368-66 as a bridge and DHCP was on the Asus side, but non of them seem to work.

Now I use B2368-66 alone and it doesn't have such setting

Brief google seems you are not alone, have you tried setting static ips? or asking your isp for one, latest firmware installed?

Last edited:
Are there are clues in the Huawei's log?

You seem to be describing two separate problems;

1) Huawei not being able to renew its lease - so what happens to its WAN interface?

2) Ethernet connection is dropping - What is "dropping"? Are you saying that all clients connected to the Huawei by Ethernet are being physically disconnected? What about wireless devices?

Are there are clues in the Huawei's log?

You seem to be describing two separate problems;

1) Huawei not being able to renew its lease - so what happens to its WAN interface?

2) Ethernet connection is dropping - What is "dropping"? Are you saying that all clients connected to the Huawei by Ethernet are being physically disconnected? What about wireless devices?
No i'm talking about the same single problem - modem unable to renew its lease every 24h and that causes LTE connection to disconnect (WAN gets disconnected too). I may have confused the terms, so sorry for that.

1) WAN gets disconnected
2) I mean WAN gets disconnected when LTE connection gets disconnected. Devices stay connected to the router (both wired/wireless), but there is no internet connection for a while until the modem restarts some service and finally gets a new public IP

Here're the logs from Huawei when it happens (DHCP/NAT on Huawei):
6239Sep 27 14:51:30errDisconnect: cause #0, n/a
6240Sep 27 14:51:30errDisconnect: APN-1, cause #0, n/a
6241Sep 27 14:51:30infoLTE Has Disconnected, debug info: F_CAMP=1, F_IP=1, info.rssi=-34, info.conn=0
6242Sep 27 14:51:30info[L2TP] L2TP Tunnel Down.
6243Sep 27 14:51:35infoSync time from LTE [21/09/27-11:51:36][3][1]
6244Sep 27 14:51:35errLTE network time is eariler than system time, do nothing
6245Sep 27 14:51:35infoIPv4 APN-1 IP:10.***.***.***/255.255.***.248 GW:10.***.***.***
6246Sep 27 14:51:36infoLTE Connection Successful
6247Sep 27 14:52:47info[LAN] (null) [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] got IP:10.xx.xx.xx

And here're the logs from Asus (when I was using Huawei as a bridge and DHCP/NAT was on the Asus):
Code:
Oct 26 10:53:08 miniupnpd[17556]: ioctl(s, SIOCGIFADDR, ...): Cannot assign requested address
Oct 26 10:53:08 miniupnpd[17556]: Failed to get IP for interface eth0
Oct 26 10:53:08 miniupnpd[17556]: SendNATPMPPublicAddressChangeNotification: cannot get public IP address, stopping
Oct 26 10:53:11 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Oct 26 10:53:11 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Oct 26 10:53:11 rc_service: udhcpc 17593:notify_rc start_firewall
Oct 26 10:53:11 miniupnpd[17556]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Oct 26 10:53:11 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Oct 26 10:53:11 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: eth0)
Oct 26 10:53:11 miniupnpd[17629]: HTTP listening on port 56929
Oct 26 10:53:11 miniupnpd[17629]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Oct 26 10:53:12 rc_service: udhcpc 17593:notify_rc stop_upnp
Oct 26 10:53:12 rc_service: udhcpc 17593:notify_rc start_upnp
Oct 26 10:53:12 rc_service: waitting "stop_upnp" via udhcpc ...
Oct 26 10:53:12 miniupnpd[17629]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Oct 26 10:53:13 dhcp_client: bound 100.xxx.xxx.xx via 100.xx.xxx.xx during 120 seconds.
Oct 26 10:53:13 miniupnpd[17652]: HTTP listening on port 48057
Oct 26 10:53:13 miniupnpd[17652]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Oct 26 10:53:16 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.

Brief google seems you are not alone, have you tried setting static ips? or asking your isp for one, latest firmware installed?
I haven't tried, but it could be that Static IP would solve the problem. Unfortunately it's not free, there's additional monthly fee if I want to have it. Nevertheless Dynamic IP should do the trick, but not sure where is the problem. The firmware is the latest, but it doesn't seem that it's related to the software since I tried to use it as a bridge and DHCP/NAT was on the Asus side and I had the same behaviour.

Sorry, I think I have misunderstood your question.
Devices stay connected to the router (both wired/wireless), but there is no internet connection for a while until the modem restarts some service and finally gets a new public IP
So is the issue only that the internet is unavailable for a short period (~1 minute) while the LTE connection is refreshed?

Last edited:
Yes that's the issue
I don't use LTE modems myself but from what other people on the forum that do have reported it sounds like this is normal behaviour and not considered a problem as such.

Perhaps you could power cycle the modem at say midnight in an attempt to move the lease renewal time to something less inconvenient.

Is there any explanation why LTE modems behaves that way? Some of my home devices such as my Samsung TV doesn't like this behaviour - most of the times the TV is unable to connect back to the internet after LTE connection is refreshed and I have to unplug it from the power outlet and plug it back to make it work again.

I guess there is no other option or a fix than just buying a Static IP?

Hello,

I have Huawei B2368-66 LTE CPE and have a problem, that the ethernet connection is dropping every 24h (when ISP's DHCP should issue a new IP). My ISP says that everything is ok on their side and the problem is on my side. I tried to reset B2368-66 to factory settings, but it doesn't help. How I can figure out where the problem is?
Have you changed 'DHCP Lease Time' from B2368-66 LTE CPE options? Factory default 12 or 24 hours. Set it to MAX(31 days) and try it again.

Have you changed 'DHCP Lease Time' from B2368-66 LTE CPE options? Factory default 12 or 24 hours. Set it to MAX(31 days) and try it again.
You mean LAN DHCP settings here below?
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 09.23.48.png

It doesn't work either, same behaviour - LTE disconnects every 24 hours

maybe the issue is on the WAN side ?
This is not an "issue" as such, IMHO. It's normal behaviour for mobile operators to do this (on dynamic connections). The only questionable part is how quickly it reconnects. Using his Asus as the router on the 27th appears to show an outage of 8 seconds which I think is acceptable. Using the Huawei as a router on 28th the outage was 6 seconds.

This is not an "issue" as such, IMHO. It's normal behaviour for mobile operators to do this (on dynamic connections). The only questionable part is how quickly it reconnects

The reason for this is a billing platform reset - e.g. refilling the bucket 'o bits (even on unlimited).

They have to tear down the LTE session and set it back up to start the count over...

Hello,

Hello

Sorry for my English, I use Google Trad.

I have been browsing the forums for 1 week looking for a solution for my installation with my Huawei B535 4G modem in bridge mode to which I connected my Asus ZenWifi XD4 (2 XD4R & 1XD4N).

I see that I am not the only one.

I will try to find a solution, because for the moment, nothing has worked.

Every 24/36 hours, the Asus zenwifi XD4 tells me that it has lost the WAN connection. I need to reboot the router and the modem.

I have already :
- inverted the 2 XD4R
- changed my cables
- reset routers

Here is to share my experience with you.

I had no problem with my 2 huawei AX3 Pro Brazil mesh version routers, they never lost the WAN.

I hope a solution will be found.

Thanks for this forum.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!