What's new

Issue with Orbi RBK50 in AP Mode using Wired Backhaul Connected to XB7 in Router Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sclawrenc

New Around Here
Hello SNB! I've been a long time reader of this forum and the site, but I believe this is my first post.

I have discovered an issue using the Orbi RBR50 in AP mode using one RBS50 in wired backhaul connected to a Xfinity XB7 modem in router mode. I can connect the RBR50 using the Internet port to any of the ports of the XB7 and everything is working fine indefinitely. However, as soon as I connect my RBS in wired backhaul to the network, my whole network goes down within about 30 seconds. If I connect the RBS in wireless backhaul mode, everything works fine so it's something to do with using the wired backhaul that causes this issue. I have factory reset the XB7 and the Orbis, but that doesn't fix it. I am on Orbi firmware 2.7.2.102, but it also happened on Orbi 2.5.4.2. The XB7 is on CGM4331COM_4.4p12s1_PROD_sey.

I can confirm that this issue doesn't happen if I use the XB7 in bridge mode with the Orbis in router mode using wired backhaul. It's something specifically about the Orbis in AP mode and using wired backhaul with the XB7 in router mode.

I've found a work around which is to connect the XB7 to one of the Ethernet switch ports on the Orbi RBR instead of the recommended Internet port. This seems to work and both Orbis in AP mode are connected to the XB7 and broadcasting the Wi-Fi using wired backhaul, but the Orbi RBR shows a purple light on top which indicates no Internet. However, the Internet connection shows good on the RBR status page, and I do have Internet on both RBR and RBS. It's been up for over 24 hours with no issues (other than purple light). :)

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I can reproduce this easily. Something happens that either the XB7 or the Orbis don't like right when I connect the Orbi RBS50 in wired backhaul mode. I've even waited 10 minutes to see if it settles down, but it never recovers.

I wonder if the Voxel firmware would be a solution? Anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Thanks in advance.

The Satellite needs to be in the left most port, excluding the internet port.

Hi theoak, and thanks for your reply.

I have the XB7 connected to the Orbi using the left most port next to the Internet port. The Internet port is the one Netgear recommends to use in AP or Router mode, but it doesn't work using wired backhaul going through the XB7 switch.

The Orbi satellite doesn't have an Internet port, and it is connected to the XB7 too, not directly attached to the Orbi router. Are you asking me to use the left most port on the satellite?

I assume when you say "left most port", you mean when looking at the Orbis from the back, correct?

Thanks again!

I hooked up the XB7 to the left most port on the Orbi satellite, and I used the Internet port on the Orbi router today. I then rebooted the Orbi router, and left the Orbi satellite on and connected to the XB7 while the Orbi router rebooted. After a minute or two, the Orbi router found the Orbi satellite in wired mode, and my network never dropped or went down. The purple light is now off on the Orbi router too. My network has been up for about 4 hours without issue.

I wouldn't think using the left most port on the Orbi satellite would make a difference since I would think all of those ports are identical as far as passing network traffic between and through them.

Thanks again for your help, theoak.

I know this question has been asked before, but... is the Voxel firmware going to give me any speed or security improvements over the stock firmware using the Orbis in AP mode? I've considered going the Voxel firmware route, but I have just stayed with the Netgear firmware since it really has been rock solid for me for around 2 years. No reboots or problems at all with solid wired and wireless speeds. This AP mode issue with the XB7 is the first problem I have experienced.

To be honest, I've been eyeing the Asus AX86U. I've considered catching them on sale and buying two to use in AIMesh mode. I believe I would get more "techy options" using either the Asus or Merlin firmware. :)

You figured it out. For wired from router to satellite it is port sensitive on the router and satellite.

Folks do claim advantages with Voxel. The catch here is each home is so different: size, walls, construction material, etc.

Hence, what works for one, may not make a difference to another.

Hello SNB! I've been a long time reader of this forum and the site, but I believe this is my first post.

I have discovered an issue using the Orbi RBR50 in AP mode using one RBS50 in wired backhaul connected to a Xfinity XB7 modem in router mode. I can connect the RBR50 using the Internet port to any of the ports of the XB7 and everything is working fine indefinitely. However, as soon as I connect my RBS in wired backhaul to the network, my whole network goes down within about 30 seconds. If I connect the RBS in wireless backhaul mode, everything works fine so it's something to do with using the wired backhaul that causes this issue. I have factory reset the XB7 and the Orbis, but that doesn't fix it. I am on Orbi firmware 2.7.2.102, but it also happened on Orbi 2.5.4.2. The XB7 is on CGM4331COM_4.4p12s1_PROD_sey.

I can confirm that this issue doesn't happen if I use the XB7 in bridge mode with the Orbis in router mode using wired backhaul. It's something specifically about the Orbis in AP mode and using wired backhaul with the XB7 in router mode.

I've found a work around which is to connect the XB7 to one of the Ethernet switch ports on the Orbi RBR instead of the recommended Internet port. This seems to work and both Orbis in AP mode are connected to the XB7 and broadcasting the Wi-Fi using wired backhaul, but the Orbi RBR shows a purple light on top which indicates no Internet. However, the Internet connection shows good on the RBR status page, and I do have Internet on both RBR and RBS. It's been up for over 24 hours with no issues (other than purple light). :)

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I can reproduce this easily. Something happens that either the XB7 or the Orbis don't like right when I connect the Orbi RBS50 in wired backhaul mode. I've even waited 10 minutes to see if it settles down, but it never recovers.

I wonder if the Voxel firmware would be a solution? Anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Thanks in advance.
I've the same issue. I've 1 router & 3 satellites with wired backhaul and the router in AP mode. When using WAN port all my connection drop. This happen after upgrading to new firmware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!