What's new

Issue with web sites not loading, then loading fine on refresh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

simonmason

Occasional Visitor
I have been having an issue for the past week or so where I will click on a link or type in a web site into the browser and it will not load. If I stop it and click refresh it automatically loads. It happens several times a day, never the same sites, etc. Also, one of my HA devices, a Hubitat, is unable to connect to a remote IP needed to run my touchscreens (Sharptools) - happens every couple of minutes.

I had this issue a few months ago and went systematically through my devices and finally figured out that a Sony Soundbar had failed in a firmware update and was apparently causing everything. Initially removing it and then successfully completing the firmware update seemed to solve the problem. Of course, it could have been a coincidence and the root cause just stopped.

I have an Edgerouter Lite that is up to date connected to FIOS through an ethernet connection to the ONT.

I have tried capturing packets on the Edgerouter and analyzing then in Wireshark and other online tools looking for a specific device that is potentially causing the issue on my local network, but I am teaching myself and so far haven't been able to locate anything.

I am about to start the tedious process of unplugging and testing to see if I can locate it. But was wondering if there was any advice here that might help me to narrow this down? Thanks.

I have been having an issue for the past week or so where I will click on a link or type in a web site into the browser and it will not load. If I stop it and click refresh it automatically loads. It happens several times a day, never the same sites, etc. Also, one of my HA devices, a Hubitat, is unable to connect to a remote IP needed to run my touchscreens (Sharptools) - happens every couple of minutes.

I had this issue a few months ago and went systematically through my devices and finally figured out that a Sony Soundbar had failed in a firmware update and was apparently causing everything. Initially removing it and then successfully completing the firmware update seemed to solve the problem. Of course, it could have been a coincidence and the root cause just stopped.

I have an Edgerouter Lite that is up to date connected to FIOS through an ethernet connection to the ONT.

I have tried capturing packets on the Edgerouter and analyzing then in Wireshark and other online tools looking for a specific device that is potentially causing the issue on my local network, but I am teaching myself and so far haven't been able to locate anything.

I am about to start the tedious process of unplugging and testing to see if I can locate it. But was wondering if there was any advice here that might help me to narrow this down? Thanks.
Not your LAN but it likely is DNS resolution. I have had that here in the states a couple of times lately. I was running DoT with DNSSEC. I turned off DNSSEC and have not had the issue.
You may want to try other DNS resolvers such as Cloudflare Secure or Quad9.

Thanks @degrub - I have 8.8.8.8 configured as the DNS in the Edgerouter.
Try 9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112 or 1.0.0.2 and 1.1.1.2
Use two DNS resolvers in the router WAN settings.

Thanks, I changed to 1.0.0.2 and 1.1.1.2 to test. Does this DNS change take effect immediately or do I need to reboot devices? I am still seeing the errors after changing it.

Thanks, I changed to 1.0.0.2 and 1.1.1.2 to test. Does this DNS change take effect immediately or do I need to reboot devices? I am still seeing the errors after changing it.
AS soon as you click Apply or OK.
As an added benefit, you are using a DNS resolver that filters out malware sites!

are any of the devices on the lan set with their own DNS resolver address or do they all point to the router address ?

What browser are you using ?

Try 9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112 or 1.0.0.2 and 1.1.1.2
Use two DNS resolvers in the router WAN settings.
These are the two servers I am using while experiencing intermittent NXDOMAIN errors on well-known sites like google.com. There is clearly something going on at the router level for some people with these intermittent DNS issues, but so far it has resisted attempts to track it down.

All devices point to my router. I mostly use Safari - 90% apple. But have seen the issue on Chrome on my one Windows machine.

I took the whole network apart today, restarted all of the switches, the router, unplugged everything, did some housekeeping on the connections, etc. I will see if it causes more issues.

Following up on this. As I mentioned, my home automation hub occasionally has issues reaching a specific site - events.sharptools.io. So I decided to run a repetitive ping and tracert to see if anything comes up.

Ping works fine. But it turns out that I do get some issues on my router.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host Loss % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.2.1 - 4 | 332 | 321 | 0 | 0 | 15 | 14 |
| lga34s40-in-f19.1e100.net - 0 | 373 | 373 | 1 | 6 | 77 | 2 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

An example of the tracert that shows an error:

1649692070533.png

It does seem like I get these errors every so often on my router. But it looks like it is resolving the address. Should I be concerned about this? I also ran it on www.ibm.com and it is showing about 4% loss as well. Thanks.

It does seem like I get these errors every so often on my router. But it looks like it is resolving the address. Should I be concerned about this? I also ran it on www.ibm.com and it is showing about 4% loss as well. Thanks.
You are losing packets between that client and your router, before you even leave your LAN. That would be the first thing to look at. If it's wired, check/replace Ethernet cables between the two. If it's wifi, then look for interference sources, try changing channel, etc...

Hmm, it looks like your router (192.168.2.1) dropped one of the three ping packets sent to it. While it's not unusual for relay machines out on the net to drop some or all pings, I find it highly fishy that you're getting significant packet loss within your local network. Even a couple percent loss rate can bring web browser performance to a standstill, because it's common for a single page load to involve dozens of request/response cycles --- if any of those get dropped, you see it as the page being slow to load or not loading at all.

Try measuring ping drop rates by doing commands like "ping -c 1000 192.168.2.x" between different machines on your network. Any loss rate higher than, say, one in a thousand is something you need to fix, and ideally it should be a good deal less than that. On wired connections you really shouldn't tolerate any lossage at all, but on wireless connections it might not be practical to get zero loss. (I've been fighting exactly that kind of problem on my local wired and wireless net for a little while now.)