What's new

Issues running two RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My case with ASUS has been sent over to the testers along with my logs to try to reproduce the problem...I will post their response when I get it. Keep your fingers crossed.

Maybe in the near future we will see a fix, i'm crossing my fingers now.

If Asus comes up empty, one thing I would try is to identify any periodicy or interval for the dropouts. Get a ping going that logs to a file, and see if the failures land on any cron boundary.

A lot of people on this forum see this router restart its services at odd times. For some it's every 48 hours or so, mine is not so periodic:

Oct 1 02:00:15 rc_service: rc 2587:notify_rc restart_wrs
Oct 17 02:00:39 rc_service: rc 16347:notify_rc restart_wrs

This kills the network. And it's just one example, there are other restart_* messages that can be clues. Or perhaps there's no log at all, but you can see if the failure is related to some kind of time boundary (top of the hour, quarter-after, that kind of thing).

But even my single AC87R in router mode will run great for several days, but still locks up for no reason at all and requires a cold reboot from time to time.

But even my single AC87R in router mode will run great for several days, but still locks up for no reason at all and requires a cold reboot from time to time.

Thats discouraging for a $300 router. I get products are sold not fully tested and users are used to tweak small bugs, but this seems a little much.

My case with ASUS has been sent over to the testers along with my logs to try to reproduce the problem...I will post their response when I get it. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hey Hagler55, have you heard anything back from asus?

So still no answers from ASUS....have been in an endless email loop with the support team now asking to call in as my issue is to complex for email. Which I'll add I started with in the beginning with no answers. Oh and the one response I got about sending my issue to testing must have been a stall tactic as I have repeatedly ask for the results of that and never given a response. I haven't had the hours to spend on the phone again with ASUS support over the last few days but will try once again sometime this week.

So still no answers from ASUS....have been in an endless email loop with the support team now asking to call in as my issue is to complex for email. Which I'll add I started with in the beginning with no answers. Oh and the one response I got about sending my issue to testing must have been a stall tactic as I have repeatedly ask for the results of that and never given a response. I haven't had the hours to spend on the phone again with ASUS support over the last few days but will try once again sometime this week.

that sucks, i've been waiting for asus to resolve this. has anyone been able to setup rt-ac87 with another router and have it work?
even with the second router having wifi turned off and acting as a switch, i have to reboot the rt-ac87 once a week. it locks up and no internet.

I still believe we are dealing with a firmware issue here. I wonder if we can get Merlin to chime in here...have you seen anything like this or within the firmware that could cause such an issue? Seems like the AP changes its IP on the fly and at random times locking up network. My guess anyways.

I'm a new member who has been following this thread with great interest. I have two new ASUS RT-AC87R routers, set them up as wireless APs with static IPs, and I have had the exact same problem. Within hours, the internet will lock up, I will reboot routers, and they will have new IP addresses. I will go to the new IP address to configure, give the static IP again, and then in a few hours the same thing. I have now removed one of the Asus routers and put my old Cisco back in its place and no crashes for over a week.

This is ridiculous and really needs to be solved. I'll keep watching to see if Asus gets back to you with any good news.

Thanks for your efforts!

Hearing from more people only insures me there is something going on here. Thanks for your response. I plan to call ASUS yet again today and will post the results afterwards. I have left just the one 87U up as a router and the other which is my AP has been a $270 powered off device for the last 2-1/2 weeks and the router has not gone down once. There is no doubt a conflict when the two devices are up at the same time regardless how you configure their IP's.

More to come...

I have a similar issue. When my computer connects via 5Ghz the network goes down in a few hours, but then it can restore itself in several minutes or after rebooting router. However if it connects via 2.4Ghz it works without any problems for days.

Last edited:
Okay so called ASUS support yet again. Since I have my AP going through a switch to my upstairs they asked me to test it wired directly to a LAN port of the router. So I did...and yes my problem is still there.

Placed a call back this evening and I got someone who after reviewing my entire case and placing me hold, my case is being escalated to the developers. They agree there must be a bug in the firmware. I am told I should get a call back within 24-48 hours.

I'll be sure to post updates when I get them. Let's hope this time I get good news. Thanks again for all that shared similar issues as it helps build my case when speaking with ASUS support.

Silly question, are you configuring through the GUI? You aren't by any chance using Safari are you?

I would do the configuring through IE.

If you're using IE, and you've configured before, try making a throw-away user account in windows, and try configuring it there with no cookies or history. The router remembers settings from previous entries, even if its from another model of their routers. i.e.. configured an rt-ac68u previously, and from the same computer and account configured an rt-ac87u. When you go to put info in, it will auto complete with the previous router's settings. It's a pretty awesome feature to be sure, but I would rule it out.

Last edited:
So it just so happens to be that I am using Safari. I have been using my MacBook Pro the entire time in setting up my two routers. That is one thing I haven't yet tried. I'll give it a try. Others sharing my issue using Safari?

So it just so happens to be that I am using Safari. I have been using my MacBook Pro the entire time in setting up my two routers. That is one thing I haven't yet tried. I'll give it a try. Others sharing my issue using Safari?

No I'm using chrome and firefox in windows.
I'm thinking the post above is referencing auto complete. if thats the case auto complete only saves what you put in each field. i have never had it auto fill the fields on it's own. now i have reset my router so many times and more than once i cleared out chromes and firefox's cache (lost everything, passwords, saved data, cookies the works). And i still have the issue with running another router in AP mode.

@W4RH34D, is the autocomplete ability what you were referencing? or is there another issue i might be over looking?
Thanks for the input.

No I'm using chrome and firefox in windows.
I'm thinking the post above is referencing auto complete. if thats the case auto complete only saves what you put in each field. i have never had it auto fill the fields on it's own. now i have reset my router so many times and more than once i cleared out chromes and firefox's cache (lost everything, passwords, saved data, cookies the works). And i still have the issue with running another router in AP mode.

@W4RH34D, is the autocomplete ability what you were referencing? or is there another issue i might be over looking?
Thanks for the input.

It is, but I think something in the background for autocomplete messes up other things. For example, if I set up dual wan in safari, it will switch the wan port and ethernet port set to 2nd wan's configuration. It also will try to load certain pages incorrectly, and I have to go the address bar and delete out a % character. This is the trouble I get using Safari though, and when I use IE none of those things happen.

You're welcome, glad to help.

exactly same issues

Just recieved my two new RT-AC87U, changing into AP mode. Setting different static ip's for each. disabling DCHP Server (running my own on another device)

Works for a few hours. - and then the RT-AC87U becomes unavailable.

Can ping the assigned IP. Can telnet to TCP Port 80 (HTTP)
But from browser no response what so ever.

would have loved to read this thread yesterday. - then i definitely would not bought these devices.

weird think is when i turn the power on/off and it comes up online again. - it gets IP address from my running DHCP Server. Instead of using the already defined static ip.
- I mean, i store static information using web interface. But on reboot. it just falls back to DHCP.

i vote for a firmware bug.

Just recieved my two new RT-AC87U, changing into AP mode. Setting different static ip's for each. disabling DCHP Server (running my own on another device)

Works for a few hours. - and then the RT-AC87U becomes unavailable.

Can ping the assigned IP. Can telnet to TCP Port 80 (HTTP)
But from browser no response what so ever.

would have loved to read this thread yesterday. - then i definitely would not bought these devices.

weird think is when i turn the power on/off and it comes up online again. - it gets IP address from my running DHCP Server. Instead of using the already defined static ip.
- I mean, i store static information using web interface. But on reboot. it just falls back to DHCP.

i vote for a firmware bug.

I do the same setup between a 87u and 66u, no issues. Did you set up the mac address information correctly?

I do the same setup between a 87u and 66u, no issues. Did you set up the mac address information correctly?

Can you explain how you setup your routers? i have the rt-ac87 as my main and have tried to setup my rt-n66u as the ap. i can't get the rt-ac87 to not freeze. i have the rt-n66u still connected but wireless is off on the rt-n66u and it does not seem to be as bad, meaning the rt-ac87 needs to be rebooted twice a week only. maybe i'm missing something on setting up the rt-n66u in ap mode. family is missing having wireless upstairs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!