What's new

Issues with 384.8_2 - RT-AC68R in bridge mode - part 2 - disconnect from main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hunterx

Occasional Visitor
I have been tracking this disconnect issue since March and it's still not fixed. I had hope that the DNS and routing fixes in 384.8 would fix this, but it has not. I have even tried the LTS E firmware, but was told that the issue may be with the AiMesh Asus wireless drivers, and that firmware has the mild reconnect similar to below.

I flashed dirty from 380.70 to 384.8 and it ran for a couple hours before dropping the connection. I needed to reinstall the https certs, but not too bad. Prior to the factory reset listed below, I was able to temporarily fix the connection issue with a reboot.

I decided to flash 384.8_2 (just freshly released), then performed a factory reset with the "Initialize" option. The rest was a nightmare because after going through the wizard, the bridge would not connect to the parent router, and would remain at the default IP. It shows disconnected in the UI. I could not get it to connect at all.

PARENT ROUTER (VPN Firewall): Pfsense 2.4.4
AP: RT-AC-3200 384.3 (I haven't upgraded since this issue started due to stability concerns - stable for months at a time)
BRIDGE: RT-AC68R (currently 380_70)

Both the AP and the bridge have static IPs defined by the routers DHCP server, and each resolve the IP and DNS automatically. My PC is routed though the VPN instead of the WAN, and that has its own DNS. The WAN DNS is 1.1.1.1, and 1.0.0.1.

I have been running stable on 380.70 and 380.69_2 for most of this year.

I need this bridge to get the kind of link speeds I need to get full speed out of my internet connection. The bridge is sitting in a sweet spot (-45-55 dbs), and able to link on average 750Mbps or higher, but iPerf3 puts the actual link speed at ~350Mbps (Not bad). The only alternative is Wired, but I have not completed that project, if ever. The Wireless card I have in this PC can only get ~60Mbps, and is located in a very bad spot (-70-80 dbs).

If anyone has a fix for this let me know. I want to avoid replacing all my Asus hardware.