What's new

JBOD plus RAID5 in DS1511+ (can do?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mauka

New Around Here
Aloha,

Can the bays be configured to multiple drive arrays in the DS1511+

I'd like to have 2 used for JBOD and 3 used for a RAID5, and of course be able to target each separately from network clients, be able to transfer data from one to the other, and back up each one to an attached USB or eSATA device.

I'm leaning towards the DS1511+ but could go with the DS710+ plus DX510 if that gives me more flexibility, by having a total of 7 drives vs 5.

Thanks!
Alan

Aloha,

Synology replied to this question for the DS710+ and DX510 pair, it's a can do.

I ordered a DS710+ and will pick up the expansion unit later. About $135 more this way but I have 2 more drive bays and less noise (3.6 fewer dB).

Thanks,
Alan

For no particular reason (because this forum is very quiet and I doubt anyone will read this), here is an update. I got the DS710+ and have been using it for two weeks now. Great product and highly recommended. Easy setup and does everything I tried with it as advertised. However I canceled the DX500 order, and picked up a DS1511+ instead. Amazon is taking the DS710+ back with full refund less the cost of return shipping (< $9.00), great company to deal with!

The DS1511+ is working very well. It's five bays are filled with Hitachi Deskstar 2 TB 3.5 CoolSpin SATA III drives in a RAID5 array. That works out to 7.15 TB of storage. Using it for Apple Time Machine and general storage. Going to add an iTunes Library later. For backup I have an external eSata 1.5TB drive. Soon that will be too small so I'm going to order another 4 or 5 bay Synology product.

Very pleased with Synology and the reviews here on SNB helped me make that choice.

Alan

Last edited:
Sorry that you didn't find the help you were looking for here. But sounds like you got it sorted out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!