What's new

JFFS Full

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

linardi88

Occasional Visitor
I just installed merlin on my ac-86u yesterday, did a factory reset, after a while this message popped up.

Your router is running low on free JFFS storage, which might affect its stability.
Review the content of the /jffs directory on your router.

Should I do something, or just keep it that way?

Attachments

• 952C578F-25E4-43A7-BB08-A704B222F29B.jpeg
    952C578F-25E4-43A7-BB08-A704B222F29B.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 463
If you installed RMerlin 384.19_0, yes, you should format the JFFS partition as it got truncated to 47MB from 48MB previously.

If you hadn't taken a backup of the JFFS partition before upgrading, do not restore one now from the 'damaged' partition. Start fresh and recreate any OpenVPN servers or clients you had (go to each one and hit the 'Default' button and reconfigure them) and/or any amtm or other scripts you had running too (unless you have a known good backup from before for each script).

If you installed RMerlin 384.19_0, yes, you should format the JFFS partition as it got truncated to 47MB from 48MB previously.

If you hadn't taken a backup of the JFFS partition before upgrading, do not restore one now from the 'damaged' partition. Start fresh and recreate any OpenVPN servers or clients you had (go to each one and hit the 'Default' button and reconfigure them) and/or any amtm or other scripts you had running too (unless you have a known good backup from before for each script).
I upgraded from asuswrt, and am a merlin first timer. I don’t really understand these kinds of things, as I’m not an expert on networking (I do know some stuff, but that’s that.) I don’t run any script, nor any OpenVPN.
My internet is running without any problem, so should I just keep it this way? I already did a factory reset after installing merlin.

I would not keep it this way (there is a problem as its indicating). :)
  • Check the 'Format JFFS partition at next boot', 'Yes' button.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the 'Apply' button.
  • Now, reboot the router via the GUI, 3 times in the next 15 minutes. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot.
The problem should be solved.

I would not keep it this way (there is a problem as its indicating). :)
  • Check the 'Format JFFS partition at next boot', 'Yes' button.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the 'Apply' button.
  • Now, reboot the router via the GUI, 3 times in the next 15 minutes. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot.
The problem should be solved.
Do I check the format JFFS button every time I reboot or just once at the start?

Just once. After the first reboot it will change its state back to "No". (The third reboot should not be necessary, but I guess it does no harm to do it).

Or you can power cycle and the jffs will mount.

I did L&LD's solution last night. I just woke up and checked my GUI, it still has the warning. Do I have to re-flash merlin or just leave it alone? Internet is working normally.

Did you click on the format JFFS button and then hit the Apply button at the bottom of the page before rebooting?

Are you using Traffic Analyzer?

Did you click on the format JFFS button and then hit the Apply button at the bottom of the page before rebooting?

Are you using Traffic Analyzer?
Yes, I formatted the JFFS on the first reset only, and no, I don't use traffic analyzer.

I did another 3-step reset after the first one. It seemed fine yesterday, only 2MB of storage used. But I checked it again just now, and it's almost full again, at 46.4 MB/47 MB. Are there factors other than Traffic Analyzer that might've caused this issue?

Internet still works flawlessly.

You can log into your router via SSH and run du /jffs to find out which files take up most of the space.

I also got new problems, where every 2-3 days, my router does this. The only solution for me is to power cycle both my modem & router. This is pretty annoying, sometimes it happens on midnight, sometimes in the afternoon when I'm using it. I've seen other's solution of changing the DHCP query from aggressive to normal. I did that, but it doesn't seem to work. This has happened before & after I flashed merlin (this problem has been around for a pretty long time, around a month or two).

Attachments

• Screenshot (28).png
    Screenshot (28).png
    362.6 KB · Views: 424
This is what I got. Any idea?
That usericon file/folder is very large, 178M(?) almost. Maybe you can see what's in it then figure out why it is there in the first place?

I can't access /jffs/ , says "permission denied."
/jffs means to execute a binary called "jffs" in root directory. But that jffs is a directory, so you get a permission error.
What you want to do is cd /jffs.

Last edited:
Should I delete the file? I found other users with the same problem as I have

I might try this solution. Is it safe to execute?

Attachments

• Screenshot (30).png
    Screenshot (30).png
    18 KB · Views: 238
Did you use costomized icon for devices? /jffs/usericon contains customized icons for devices, named after the device's MAC address.
For example, if a device's MAC address is "AA-BB-CC-00-00-00", and you uploaded a customized icon for it, then there should be a AABBCC000000.log or aabbcc000000.ico in that folder.
In this way, you can find out which devices has a very large icon file.

Did you use costomized icon for devices? /jffs/usericon contains customized icons for devices, named after the device's MAC address.
For example, if a device's MAC address is "AA-BB-CC-00-00-00", and you uploaded a customized icon for it, then there should be a AABBCC000000.log or aabbcc000000.ico in that folder.
In this way, you can find out which devices has a very large icon file.
I haven't uploaded any custom icon for anything, but it seems that one particular device is filling up the space, a netgear WN3000RP extender I'm using.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/jffs-ico-file-rt-ac3200.40738/ (another person with the same problem, but I can't comprehend how he managed to fix it.)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!