What's new

Jumbo Frames enabled slows 209+ to a crawl.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iugrifma

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
Can anyone please help me to solve a puzzle I have discovered,
when testing my 209+ ?

I have a 209+ with a single 1.5TB Seagate drive connected to a
Netgear GS108T (with JF enabled), which in turn is connected to a
laptop with a PCIe gigabit NIC.

During upload testing to the NAS, without Jumbo Frames, enabled I measure a
consistent 28MB/s. The excellent reviews here (minor brown nosing, but never the less true) indicated there may be some more horsepower to be had by such a setup so I have experimented with JF.

To begin with I set both NAS and laptop to 4K, tested with the ping options
to ensure the packets are not begin segmented and then ran tests.
The upload performance went from 28MB/s to 3MB/s.

And any combination of JF sizes sees no change in upload speed.
It's about 10 times slower. However as soon as I switch Jumbo Frames off
on the Synology NAS performance returns to about 28MB/s.

Am I failing to set something up correctly? Or is there any check list I can reference to see where the bottleneck is forming ??

Any help gratefully received.

I have seen jumbo frames not improve performance. But not so negatively affect it.

Can you try a filecopy to another computer with a gigabit NIC that supports jumbo frames to see if the issue is specific to the 209+?

thanks for your reply - I've had a little time now to test the issue against a number of other machines. Lucky enough it looks like I found a fair comparison from which to do some testing.
To explain, my laptop (running windows Vista [32bit]) has a Marvell Yukon PCIe NIC [88E8055] and my wife's iMAC has a Marvell Yukon PCIe NIC [88E8053]. I tested the file upload/download from her iMAC with various size jumbo frames enabled and found that the symptom I'd seen (3 MB/s from 28) did NOT appear. In fact at 4K frame size performance lifted slightly (+ 2/3 MB/s).
So, I have updated the driver on the laptop to the latest version [10.66.4.3]
and this has fixed the issue. I now get approx 43 MB/s upload and 50+ MB/s download when moving files of approx 1GB with 4K jumbo frame setting on both the NAS and laptop.

regards! :)

Thanks for posting the update. Glad you got it fixed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!