What's new

Just A Easy AX Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

daviworld

Regular Contributor
Seeing as RMerlin has picked up support for the AX88U, my interest has grown into getting one, and turning my AC5300 into a AP. My only question is, do you think ASUS & Broadcom will eventually upgrade the firmware for the AX88U to include WPA3, since the chipset hardware seems more than capable of running it.

I plan on upgrading my tech this year with device's such as the ASUS Rog Mothership, when it releases. Which will have a AX support, no mention on WPA3 support yet. Then lastly, either a LG G8, Google Pixel 4, or a Oneplus 7 all of which will have a Snapdragon 855 which will support AX and WPA3

Best,

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I plan on upgrading my tech this year with device's such as the ASUS Rog Mothership, when it releases.

Merlin doesn't support the ROG models ............

Merlin doesn't support the ROG models ............
I'm aware, but this specific Rog model is a 17" high-end gaming surface pro like device, which isn't a router lol. I'm using it to replace my ASUS Transformer Pro T304UA. I stated them above, to justify my reason for future proofing

I speculate that WPA3 support will eventually be added to the RT-AX88U

It would make sense since the RT-AX88U is their flagship model, and will probably be on the market for a very long time. However nobody knows what are Broadcom's plans. We have yet to see any sign of WPA3 support from them within the SDK.

If I remember correctly, Microsoft should add WPA3 support with Windows 19H1. Maybe Broadcom is waiting on that before implementing anything, so they can validate their implementation against the most widely available OS.

all of which will have a Snapdragon 855 which will support AX and WPA3

Keep in mind that you need BOTH hardware and software support. Using a SoC that supports it won't do much good if the device uses an older Android version that lacks WPA3 support.

Keep in mind that you need BOTH hardware and software support. Using a SoC that supports it won't do much good if the device uses an older Android version that lacks WPA3 support.
Good point, I know Android 10 will be releasing later this year, but Google hasn't announced WPA3 support yet. I wasn't aware Microsoft was supporting it so Early, I figured they would of waited until Fall to include support, since that's when most client's will be popping up

Good point, I know Android 10 will be releasing later this year, but Google hasn't announced WPA3 support yet. I wasn't aware Microsoft was supporting it so Early, I figured they would of waited until Fall to include support, since that's when most client's will be popping up

Well people spotted hints of WPA3 in 19H1 SDK changes. Can't tell for sure if support will be finalized by 19H1, or it's just the first steps toward full support with 19H2. But it would make sense for Microsoft to add support before clients became too widespreads, as otherwise the majority of clients would be unusable until they do.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!