What's new

Just got 1Gbps up/down fiber internet...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why not use the C2000T as a wired-only router (disable WiFi) and use your R7000 as a WiFi AP?

You mentioned that you want full speed in the den, which means you may need a quality network switch in there. Then connect your devices to that switch. You can connect the R7000 to either the switch or the modem, your choice. The switch and modem need to be wired together, of course. ;)

You may not need a switch if the R7000 is capable of full gigabit speeds, but you mentioned that it was only capable of 850Mbit on the WAN. Whether that limut applies to LAN to LAN traffic, I dunno.

No, it only hits it's head across the WAN port. LAN-LAN speeds are fine. And I *wish* it would do 850; it is maxing out at 500. The RT-87U is the router that has been reported to hit 850 across the WAN port, but I don't have that router. I considered purchasing it, but there are wide spread reports about reliability issues with 5ghz connections.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had the C2000T handling the ethernet connections and the R7000 handling wifi, but the R7000 kept crashing. I'll be working on this configuration more, though, as I think this is about the best solution for the hardware I have, and it doesn't look like any consumer grade alternatives would be adequate.

The radio in my laptop is only 1x1.

Ok in that case having 200mbps is excellent. Not sure why your R7000 keeps crashing as it is an excellent AP. What I always did with consumer gear is to schedule a nightly reboot. Just a hint.

Just an update....

So I added the C2000T back in to the network. It's handling the PPoE connection to CenturyLink, and also as the DHCP server. The R7000 is connected to the C2000T via ethernet, and serves as the WiFi access point, and gives me an additional three ethernet plugs.

Devices connected to the R7000 via ethernet are able to obtain the full 1gps speed of the fiber connection. It's just too bad that it can't handle the full internet connection speed over the WAN port.

I flashed the R7000 to the latest version of the stock firmware, which has been rock solid now for about ten days.

WiFi speeds and range are very good, in both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios.

I will be running cat 6 cable from the family room to the attic, where I'll install a gibabit ethernet switch. I'll then run cat 6 from the den (connected to the C2000T) to the attic. This will enable me to place the R7000 in the family room and have full 1gbps speed to devices attached by ethernet (an xbox 360, an xbox one, a dish hopper, a Wii, and the TV) and give me a more centralized location for the wifi.

Now I just need the wife to buy off on getting a 4k TV.... 1gbps fiber connection directly to the TV. Man, it'll be nice to stream 4k content directly to the TV at a full gig per second!

But I digress...

The R7000 is doing it's job very well; it's handling the full gig over it's LAN ports, and WiFi speed/range is excellent.