What's new

Just Got the WRT600N

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hwy101

Occasional Visitor
And, tons of Questions that don't seem to be covered anywhere in Docs.

I'd like to Run it for a Small Network at my apt (no network connect -yet, coming)

I have test pluging Desktop in to one of the Router Port -Seems to be Okay.
Can I then share the Desktop & Laptop via the WiFi?
or
Should I plug the desktop modem (or netconnection) into the Internet port on the Router to take advantage of the WiFi?

And, I did not when plugged in one of the network ports that the router did NOT pickup the System Time -It let me set the Region Time Zone; but, did NOT pickup the Time (I am assuming because not hooked to the Internet) -I could find no other spot for Time Input... Is there a way to force Desktop Time on?

Thanks - Tom

wrt600n config

I'd like to Run it for a Small Network at my apt (no network connect -yet, coming)

Right on.

I have test pluging Desktop in to one of the Router Port -Seems to be Okay. Can I then share the Desktop & Laptop via the WiFi?
or
Should I plug the desktop modem (or netconnection) into the Internet port on the Router to take advantage of the WiFi?
Until you get your broadband hookup up, you could certainly for a short term solution share desktop & laptop using wifi for your broadband, piggybacking off of an in range WAP. Just plug in both to the lan ports, find a sync up with an unprotected or public access point that you configure as your WAN and you're good to go.

When you get your broadband line put in, definitely plug that into your WAN port, plug your machines into the LAN, and you can use the wifi side for anything you want.

What do you ultimately want to use the wifi for? To create a public access point with other users allowed share your broadband or to create a private wireless network so you can have more mobility for your laptop (which of course would need a wireless client client card) so you can use your laptop wherever you want in your pad? Or something else I haven't mentioned yet?

And, I did not when plugged in one of the network ports that the router did NOT pickup the System Time -It let me set the Region Time Zone; but, did NOT pickup the Time (I am assuming because not hooked to the Internet) -I could find no other spot for Time Input... Is there a way to force Desktop Time on?
Well yeah, no internet connection means the ntp daemon can't communicate up with a public NTP server over the net to give you time. If you run a local ntp server, you'll have to set the ntp config file to reflect your local IP to look for. Or, if you're okay with just setting it once and aren't worried about time skew then you can do that too. Doing either, of course, will mean you'll need to make these changes via shell by SSH'ing into your router and configuring it by commandline.

Last edited:
(aries, I can't get the quoting to work as good as you <sigh>)

Until you get your broadband hookup up, you could certainly for a short term solution share desktop & laptop using wifi for your broadband, piggybacking off of an in range WAP. Just plug in both to the lan ports, find a sync up with an unprotected or public access point that you configure as your WAN and you're good to go.

Tom:
Well, for the present, I'd like to have the Desktop plugged to one of the lan ports, leaving the laptop mobile (it has wifi g built-in) - that way I can sit wherever and still access both the laptop (and it's files) and the Western Digital USB Terabyte drive that I got (nice to have the storage)

I did get a plug-in 'n' card for the laptop - and found a Open access point -now I have to see if I can figure where & how to configure the Router to connect or piggy-back too...

Aries:
When you get your broadband line put in, definitely plug that into your WAN port, plug your machines into the LAN, and you can use the wifi side for anything you want.

Tom:
Cable is inticing me with a year at set rate for both Internet & TV -maybe by the end of that time, the City will have it's City-Wide-WiFi in...

Aries:
What do you ultimately want to use the wifi for? To create a public access point with other users allowed share your broadband or to create a private wireless network so you can have more mobility for your laptop (which of course would need a wireless client client card) so you can use your laptop wherever you want in your pad? Or something else I haven't mentioned yet?

Tom:
Just doing the WiFi for self at Home, so I can use Laptop wherever I want and share the Resources of the Desktop & that PlugIn USB Disk.

Aries:
Well yeah, no internet connection means the ntp daemon can't communicate up with a public NTP server over the net to give you time. If you run a local ntp server, you'll have to set the ntp config file to reflect your local IP to look for. Or, if you're okay with just setting it once and aren't worried about time skew then you can do that too. Doing either, of course, will mean you'll need to make these changes via shell by SSH'ing into your router and configuring it by commandline.

Tom:
The time setting is not really a big deal -just thought if there was a way to get the wrt600n to look at the Laptop for the time, I would -then the Logs and Other things that the Router keeps track of would make more sense when I look at them 8-^) (heck even though I have set up another user -self- I still get invalid login when I use it or admin)

Can you point me to where I can learn to SSH'ing via Shell? Thanks - Tom

600N Advice - Go straight to dd-wrt forums and bask in the wealth of knowledge.

I did get a plug-in 'n' card for the laptop - and found a Open access point -now I have to see if I can figure where & how to configure the Router to connect or piggy-back too...
Set your router to use the wifi in client mode, and you should be able to detect the same AP your laptop picks up. You can then use that AP as your router's temp WAN to the net. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to navigate the GUI to accomplish this, as I do 99% of router configurations from command line. 1% only if GUI use is required to access the command line. Otherwise, I would expect openwrt, dd-wrt, sveasoft, or some other 3rd party to figure out how best to lay out a GUI to provide the extra capabilities that never seems to make it to the stock GUI. The manufacturers are engineers and not web designers and have a habit of treating the GUI as superfluous particularly when source is provided.
Just doing the WiFi for self at Home, so I can use Laptop wherever I want and share the Resources of the Desktop & that PlugIn USB Disk.
Doesn't sound difficult since you'll really only be using your desktop with the router, since your laptop will be using another AP for its online access. If you want to also access your router's usb storage from your laptop then you'll need to set up separate VLAN's to separate client and server traffic from a private AP you set up to use with your laptop. Or there might be a way to assign a particular role to each radio ... one client and one server. This might not be the most efficient method on a 610N but my initial hunch is that it wouldn't matter on a 600N.
The time setting is not really a big deal -just thought if there was a way to get the wrt600n to look at the Laptop for the time, I would -then the Logs and Other things that the Router keeps track of would make more sense when I look at them 8-^) (heck even though I have set up another user -self- I still get invalid login when I use it or admin)
The time setting is inconsequential since once your router gets internet access, the time server will take care of itself. No point in having to set up anything on your LAN.
Well, I'm assuming you're using windows, so you'll need to find an ssh client for windows. It's been so long for me that I can't even remember the name of what became the most popular of the window ssh clients available, but they're all shareware and free for personal use so you shouldn't have trouble finding one. Then just ssh into the router. Try using the default username and password that the web interface requires. But considering dd-wrt does have a 600N firmware available I'm sure you could find out the default username and pw there, and I would highly recommend you install their consistently updated firmware since the stock linksys firmware has a traceroute vulnerability that is easily exploited. I'm sure their forums would be a far better resource than here to learn how to unlock the secrets of your router. You'll probably see me there as soon as I see the source for the 610N posted and can get my hands on one at a reasonable price. Have fun.

WRT600N - DSL - And Printing - Cont'd

DSL Finally In (sorry to have been so long -Busy Year, House Hunting)

(aries, I can't get the quoting to work as good as you <sigh>)

Tom:
Well, for the present, I'd like to have the Desktop plugged to one of the lan ports, leaving the laptop mobile (it has wifi g built-in) - that way I can sit wherever and still access both the laptop (and it's files) and the Western Digital USB Terabyte drive that I got (nice to have the storage)

============== I put everything here ======== Sorry if I goofed!

I am going to forego hooking the Desktop in presently - Just use the Laptop & the Printer -but, have Belkin Skype Phone too...

I am in a efficiency w/Galley-ish kitchen attached - phone come in that corner and with me in Main room -Printer too. Brother WiFi Printer.

Now to the main Setup- with Laptop ether-neted to Router, I am connected, when I left Linksys's program try to do setup... lost connection - I will re-do configuration tomorrow (when not so sleep from burning the midnight oil)!

Printing Questions: With Printer on Opposite side of Room from Router, should I try to include the Printer (Brother 5280N) in the WiFi Network or make a 10 to 15 foot ethernet cable and hardwire it to a Port on the router?
(I would like to be able to Print stuff while on the Internet)

Any thoughts please - oh, I have early version of Network Magic (looks alot like what Linksys is selling now) would that work better setting up the network than the Linksys software?

And, for the Skype phone, don't I just put the MAC address in the Router for it to use and left thru?

Tom (gotta go put gMail addy in for notification)
==================================================

Aries:

Tom:
Cable is inticing me with a year at set rate for both Internet & TV -maybe by the end of that time, the City will have it's City-Wide-WiFi in...

Aries:

Tom:

Aries:

Tom:

Wrt600n & dsl

(just wanted to pull my text out to where it would be easier to see -me and the editing are still 'not' understanding each other - Sorry)

I am going to forego hooking the Desktop in presently - Just use the Laptop & the Printer -but, have Belkin Skype Phone too...

I am in a efficiency w/Galley-ish kitchen attached - phone come in that corner and with me in Main room -Printer too. Brother WiFi Printer.

Now to the main Setup- with Laptop ether-neted to Router, I am connected, when I left Linksys's program try to do setup... lost connection - I will re-do configuration tomorrow (when not so sleep from burning the midnight oil)!

Printing Questions: With Printer on Opposite side of Room from Router, should I try to include the Printer (Brother 5280N) in the WiFi Network or make a 10 to 15 foot ethernet cable and hardwire it to a Port on the router?

Any thoughts please - oh, I have early version of Network Magic (looks alot like what Linksys is selling now) would that work better setting up the network than the Linksys software?

And, for the Skype phone, don't I just put the MAC address in the Router for it to use and left thru?

Tom

Wrt600n & dsl

(just wanted to pull my text out to where it would be easier to see -me and the editing are still 'not' understanding each other - Sorry)

Okay - have connection! (woo hoo) Now for the Printer (mea copa, it is a Brother HL-5280DW -it has WiFi G or Ethernet connection)

Which way do you think I should go:

Hook to Router via Ethernet cable?
or
Add to the Linksys and use via WiFi?

( I just want to be able to print while I am on the Internet. And, right now, I can not do that... (bummer) )

Or Should I look at one of the WiFi Printer Server things...??? (just seemed to be like more expense than I need being I have either WiFi to use or one of the Linksys Ethernet Ports available to use.)

... oh, I have early version of Network Magic (looks alot like what Linksys is selling now) would that work better setting up the network than the Linksys software?

They just look an awfully lot alike!

And for when I Secure the Network, don't I just put the Skype (Belkin) Phone's MAC address in the WRT600N in the MAC section as a Pass thru for the Skype Phone to work? Do I have Keys on Both Ends for Secure Connection?

Thanks a lot Everyone - Help sure Appreciated! Regards, Tom :)

( hey, I think I have improved on the Quoting - Thanks for Everyone's Patience )

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!