What's new

Keep RT-AC68U or Upgrade to RT-AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
As my ever expanding WiFi device laden home gets more clients added to its router - I was wondering if I needed to update my almost 4 year old 68U (really a TMO AC1900 with RMerlin)?

Have not seen any performance issues yet on the 68U but we're up to 36 clients now as displayed in the ASUS (RMerlin) GUI Client list.

1/5th are on the 5GHz band - but other 4/5th are considered 'mission' critical smart home devices & OEM configured only for the 2.4GHz band.

I have added a TP-Link EAP225 Access Point in the upstairs area but since it is the up-stair - it wasn't really meant to relieve 2.4GHz capacity from the AC68U as much as bring stronger signal to that area of the house & so far only serve a fraction of the 2.4GHZ clients (& roaming 2.4/5GHz clients)

House is a 5 year old, 1 & 1/2 story, surrounded with dry wall & hardi plank spread over 3K sqft.
Router location is in closet 2/3rd of way back from front of house.

So question is: does the 86U do anything enough over the 68U to aid 2.4Ghz capacity but still provide stable performance & range?

Or do I need something more powerful like a Netgear 7800 or ASUS ROG5300?

Or stay the course until I see degradation?

--ps I have a 86U arriving tomorrow - so I am thinking about keeping it or not.... ;)

Last edited:
As my ever expanding WiFi device laden home gets more clients added to its router - I was wondering if I needed to update my almost 4 year old 68U (really a TMO AC1900 with RMerlin)?

Have not seen any performance issues yet on the 68U but we're up to 36 clients now as displayed in the ASUS (RMerlin) GUI Client list.

1/5th are on the 5GHz band - but other 4/5th are considered 'mission' critical smart home devices & OEM configured only for the 2.4GHz band.

I have added a TP-Link EAP225 Access Point in the upstairs area but since it is the up-stair - it wasn't really meant to relieve 2.4GHz capacity from the AC68U as much as bring stronger signal to that area of the house & so far only serve a fraction of the 2.4GHZ clients (& roaming 2.4/5GHz clients)

House is a 5 year old, 1 & 1/2 story, surrounded with dry wall & hardi plank spread over 3K sqft.

So question is: does the 86U do anything enough over the 68U to aid 2.4Ghz capacity but still provide stable performance & range?

--ps I have a 86U arriving tomorrow - so I am thinking about keeping it or not.... ;)

Since your primary consideration is the number of present and future clients, you should consider routers with the new Intel cpu/radio chipset. That is, the Asus Blue Cave, and the Phicomm K3C. Each can handle 128 clients. The normal rule of thumb is 32 clients per radio. Netgear usually declares 64 max clients. The next consideration is how to defend such a noteworthy network from IOT threats. Great luck in your decision.

The AC86U has a small be clear improvement in speed at long range, but I wouldn't try to use a single AC86U to replace an AC68U + AP (are the two devices connected by ethernet?). I would buy the AC86U two-pack (there is a 2-pack discount) over a single RT-AC5300. I think the coverage would be much better for two AC86Us than for a single RT-AC5300. And the RT-AC5300 has a mixed record for end-user satisfaction.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u-vs-ac3100-vs-ac86u-wifi-testing.43055/

The AC86U has a small be clear improvement in speed at long range, but I wouldn't try to use a single AC86U to replace an AC68U + AP (are the two devices connected by ethernet?). I would buy the AC86U two-pack (there is a 2-pack discount) over a single RT-AC5300. I think the coverage would be much better for two AC86Us than for a single RT-AC5300. And the RT-AC5300 has a mixed record for end-user satisfaction.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u-vs-ac3100-vs-ac86u-wifi-testing.43055/

Thanks for that link - actually read it prior to making this thread.
Because I had some more specific questions.
Just to clarify - I would NOT be replacing the AP just the 68U.

The AP is Cat6 through a switch back to the 68U.
If anything, the AP should be a good fallback for future expansion.

Last edited:
Since your primary consideration is the number of present and future clients, you should consider routers with the new Intel cpu/radio chipset. That is, the Asus Blue Cave, and the Phicomm K3C. Each can handle 128 clients. The normal rule of thumb is 32 clients per radio. Netgear usually declares 64 max clients. The next consideration is how to defend such a noteworthy network from IOT threats. Great luck in your decision.

I think I am below the 32 best practice guidance for each (band?) radio unless -by radio - you mean per router?

Thanks for that link - actually read it prior to making this thread.
Because I had some more specific questions.

The AP is Cat6 through a switch back to the 68U.
If anything, the AP should be a good fallback for future expansion.

The AC86U definitely has more CPU horsepower than the AC68U (and probably the AC5300), so if you have things like AiProtection or QOS enabled for 36 clients, the AC86U would likely handle it better than the AC68U.

Then if you have no immediate issue to solve, hold and wait, gather your options, and watch prices.

Then at some point, you may want to consider using ASUS AiMesh and jump in with both feet... this would require abandoning Merlin and non-AiMesh routers. Or, stay your course and just upgrade your main router at that time, with an eye out for trying AiMesh later still.

OE

86u still got too many bugs
Also default IP on 86u is 192.168.50.1 and ip pool 192.168.50.XXX a lot of my smart home devices did not work properly till i change it to 192.168.1.1 ip pool 192.168.1.XXX

on 68u i don't need to do any edition steps everything i have just worked..
I end up getting RT- ac5300 and using 86u and old 68u just as a node..

86u working well as wireless node , none do good as a LAN connected node ... still have to use AP mode

Also default IP on 86u is 192.168.50.1 and ip pool 192.168.50.XXX a lot of my smart home devices did not work properly till i change it to 192.168.1.1 ip pool 192.168.1.XXX

on 68u i don't need to do any edition steps everything i have just worked..
I end up getting RT- ac5300 and using 86u and old 68u just as a node..

86u working well as wireless node , none do good as a LAN connected node ... still have to use AP mode

My AC86U is on neither .50.XXX or .1.XXX, and all my devices connect fine whether by DHCP or manual IP assignment. I'm not sure that any of my devices qualify as being smart devices though. I just have computers, phones, tablets, and cameras. That aside, I guess I wonder if the issue is the smart devices or the router.

If you have no issues, I don't really see much of gain with getting a new router, granted the likes of the R7800/86U improve range and 5 Ghz performance, I doubt you would notice it too much. If you really want a new one just wait it out for the new ax routers granted you probably don't have ax clients yet, at least it would be a bit more future proof. Or you could buy the older R7800/86U at that time at much better prices, so its a win either way.

i have 86u and never had this problem, always have 192.168.1.1 adress.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!