What's new

Kernel errors merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brdsng

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I'm running Merlin 384.19 on rt-ac86u.

This morning, I disabled pretty much every native service the rt-ac86u has to offer, I think the media server is still running. All the kernel errors I've been fighting seem to have stopped. The only thing I really wish to run is " USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share". I reenabled this service and kernel errors resumed. Am I doing something wrong? If so, is there an entware package that does samba?

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like I need to choose between ad blocking and samba. Is this correct? Thanks

Sure, I was just asking in general if they don't play nice. But here you go:
Oct 21 08:49:29 kernel: pgd = ffffffc002bd7000
Oct 21 08:49:29 kernel: [00000000] *pgd=0000000017365003, *pud=0000000017365003, *pmd=000000001578f003, *pte=0000000000000000
Oct 21 09:02:48 kernel: pgd = ffffffc009e8f000
Oct 21 09:02:48 kernel: [00000000] *pgd=0000000009e2f003, *pud=0000000009e2f003, *pmd=0000000009db2003, *pte=0000000000000000
Oct 21 09:28:42 kernel: pgd = ffffffc013318000
Oct 21 09:28:43 kernel: [00000000] *pgd=00000000150f2003, *pud=00000000150f2003, *pmd=00000000190c9003, *pte=0000000000000000

Last edited:
After flashing the RMerlin firmware on it, did you do a full M&M Config reset on it (see the link in the signature below for that guide)?

When was the last time you did a full reset? Including checking the box to 'Initialize all settings...'? After flashing 384.19_0?

Did you check the box to format the JFFS partition on the next boot, hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page, and then reboot the router at least 3 times in the next 10 to 15 minutes, waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots?

After flashing the RMerlin firmware on it, did you do a full M&M Config reset on it (see the link in the signature below for that guide)?

When was the last time you did a full reset? Including checking the box to 'Initialize all settings...'? After flashing 384.19_0?

Did you check the box to format the JFFS partition on the next boot, hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page, and then reboot the router at least 3 times in the next 10 to 15 minutes, waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots?
I did do all that recently because I was having issues like this. I updated to 19 and then tried to go back to 18 or 17, I don't recall. Had issues because of the security between the two and I couldn't login anymore. So followed the reset procedure and this is where I'm at.

So, they do work togther, samba and entware packages? maybe I'll try another reset if this is the case. I just thought maybe I was being forced to choose between samba and blocking ads. Thank you

The order can make all the difference. A reset isn't something you do ad hoc, it is something to be followed, after flashing the firmware you want to use.

I can't recall right now of any Samba/Entware issues. If you have been flipping back and forth between firmware, I would be doing a full reset once more after flashing the firmware you want to use.

The following link may also be of use.

Fully Reset Router and Network

The order can make all the difference. A reset isn't something you do ad hoc, it is something to be followed, after flashing the firmware you want to use.

I can't recall right now of any Samba/Entware issues. If you have been flipping back and forth between firmware, I would be doing a full reset once more after flashing the firmware you want to use.

The following link may also be of use.

Fully Reset Router and Network
Sorry, I must not have been very clear. I only "flipped" around between firmwares because I was having the same issues that other were reporting when upgrading to 19. The last reset was performed after installing 19 for the final time and your link is exactly the procedure that was followed.

Still just looking for a yes or no though on on original question if someone can advise. Thanks, again.

Does the router perform normally without any customization at all after a full reset? If it doesn't, that may be indicating a hardware issue.

Still just looking for a yes or no though on on original question if someone can advise.
They will work together. I've had no issues with Samba access to my USB while Entware was installed to the same drive (although different partition). I'd focus more on your specific USB problem and stay on the latest Merlin (384.19).
Describe what is/isn't working. BTW, I'm not sure those kernel messages are errors - possible just some diagnostics.

Thank you, Ronald! Finally a direct answer. Those errors are just appearing every 20 minutes or so and the log is filled with them. I'm concerned that something will happen while I'm not hear leaving my wife and daughter without internet for school/work. So, I've been tinkering here and there and can't get it to stop.

There might have been loss of internet a few times but it might also have been my tinkering, I've tried so many different configs at this point. I'm home this week, the reason I'm trying to solve this.

If you don't think it's an issue, I'll just let it go and see what happens.

Thanks again