What's new

kernel: TCP: Possible SYN flooding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wyliec2

Occasional Visitor
This morning I logged onto my AC88U and it took a while to get into it. Once in, both CPUs were pegged at 100% and the System Log was full of these messages:

kernel: TCP: Possible SYN flooding on port 56293. Sending cookies.

I rebooted and it seems to be back to normal however I am still seeing bursts of the same message but with a different port number. They are not continuous but come in bursts of 10 or so.

I'm also seeing these messages too:

kernel: net_ratelimit: 7 callbacks suppressed

The number after net_ratelimit: is changing - 7, 10, 14, 11, etc.

Adding on Edit:
I'm running 384.13 and Diversion ad blocker
These messages are coming on exactly 1 minute intervals since I rebooted:
10:17:25
10:18:25
10:19:25
10:20:25
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Wyatt

Are you doing anything that might require a very high number of incoming TCP connections, like running BitTorrent?

Look at the router's System Log -> Connections page to determine what is using that port.

Are you doing anything that might require a very high number of incoming TCP connections, like running BitTorrent?

Look at the router's System Log -> Connections page to determine what is using that port.

No BitTorrent or anything like that. I have a large number of 'smart home' devices - lights, plugs, thermostats, etc.

The port number in the message does not show up in the Connections page - I refreshed multiple times to see if it would show up but it never did. :(

Is there any way to track it down logging on to the router with a command line command??

Thanks for your reply and suggestions!!
Wyatt

Try looking at Network Tools > Netstat > Method=Netstat, Option=TCP sockets, Resolve name=No

If you still can't see it try changing the "Option" setting.

Try looking at Network Tools > Netstat > Method=Netstat, Option=TCP sockets, Resolve name=No

If you still can't see it try changing the "Option" setting.

OK, that command worked - I can see 4 different IP addresses associated with the port number 38071 which is flagged with the flooding message.

I was unplugging chunks of my network to see what impacted the messages. I have an AC3100 I'm using as an access point (nothing wired into it) and when I unplugged it, the messages stopped.

I plugged it back in and the messages resumed. I turned off the 2.4 Ghz radio and the messages stopped. I presume I can ignore the hardwired IP addresses associated with port 38071 since it seems the issue is with a device on the 2.4 Ghz network on the AC3100 (the 2.4 Ghz networks on the AC88U and AC3100 are separate SSIDs).

Thanks for your help - my network expertise doesn't go a lot deeper than ipconfig and tracert!!! I don't understand why there are 4 different IPs associated with the one port number....
Wyatt