What's new

Kindly ask for little advice: Linksys WRT3200 vs Netgear R4S R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BigMaras

New Around Here
Hello,
I kindly ask for little help. Today died my old TL-WDR3600 and I'm looking something new. 250 usd is totaly deadline in price, so after many tons of review I decided to buy one of them: WRT32000ACM or X4S R7800. In my country they cost 200 and 250 USD, cheaper is R4s.

What is important for me:
1) Wifi range (2,4 & 5) - I have two flors
2) Wifi performance (2,4 & 5)
3) Stability
4) Usb 3.0 write/read performance

Little edit: because I found also nice promotion on Synology RT2600ac I also add this model to battle.

Last edited:
the WRT will have the best storage performance - this is an area where the Marvell based WRT's have excelled.

The Netgear is pretty decent - and there's a good community building around the product...

The Synology is interesting - this is their 2nd gen device, and feedback has been good...

Stepping down a "class level" - most AC1900 class devices likely would meet your needs - the Netgear R7000, Asus' RT-AC68U series, and so forth - what you get there is stability and maturity, as these are older devices, but the two I mention above still have active development going on, so that's something to consider..

you shouldnt expect 2.4Ghz performance anymore.

USB3, performance really just depends on what you use with it. If its a hard drive than it would be limited by drive speed, filesystem and network. Filesystem and the firmware affects CPU usage on storage. Your PC can use the full extent of usb3 but routers just arent fast enough, their CPUs are very different.

Thank you all for reply, it is really hard decision :(
When we talk about 2,4 and 5 range I saw that synology have the strongest antenas:
1) wrt3200acm - 4x3 dBi
2) x4s r7800 - 4x2 dBi
3) rt2600ac - 4x4,5 dBi

but linksys have the more transmit power:
Synology and Netgear - 20 dBm
Linsys - 29 dBm

So, how it looks like in real life?

Thank you all for reply, it is really hard decision :(
When we talk about 2,4 and 5 range I saw that synology have the strongest antenas:
1) wrt3200acm - 4x3 dBi
2) x4s r7800 - 4x2 dBi
3) rt2600ac - 4x4,5 dBi

but linksys have the more transmit power:
Synology and Netgear - 20 dBm
Linsys - 29 dBm

So, how it looks like in real life?

I'm also considering the rt2600ac vs x4s r7800. Stability and greatest coverage/range being a priority.

Interesting that you have found this technical info on the quality of the aerials and power output. I've read a few reviews on amazon.co.uk saying the synology rt2600ac has been very good in this respect. Perhaps thats down to the higher spec of the aerials?
I've tried to digest the SNB reviews but can't quite find anything conclusive on wifi range and coverage difference or similarity, between the R7800 & rt2600ac. It may be that i'm misunderstanding the technicalities presented.

Thanks good review. As I understand it the 2.4ghz is the frequency that has the greater range, so that may be a better choice for guaranteeing WiFi connection across a larger house.

At long range the 2.4 GHz performance is the same on both :), hence two bars one for long one for short range performance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!