What's new

LAN connections cannot access internet after power outage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DonCatoli

Regular Contributor
Hi, Has anyone had this issue? my LAN connections cannot access internet after a power outage, wifi connections are completely fine.
Usually a manual power cycle will fix it but sometimes I have to literally factory default it then restore my config file to get my LAN devices back on the net like I just had to now.
I've had this issue with my RT-68U and RT-3100, any thoughts as to what might be happening?
I have always used Merlin FW, I am currently on 384.19

Get a quality UPS so that your network infrastructure doesn't get affected by power fluctuations, brownout, blackouts, etc.

LAN connections cannot access internet after a power outage, wifi connections are completely fine
I think most of us include wired and wireless clients as connected to the LAN. That had me confused at first.

I agree w/L&LD for network stability you need the modem & router on UPS. But something else is going on here. It makes no sense that wireless clients can connect to WAN but wired clients can't. Are you sure that all wireless connect, and not just phones? Regarding phones, are you sure they aren't just switching to cellular data?
While this is happening, does the router's gui say Internet Status: Connected?
Seems to me that fixing the problem by restoring a config says something is wrong with NVRAM. Is it near full?

Last edited:
Get a quality UPS so that your network infrastructure doesn't get affected by power fluctuations, brownout, blackouts, etc.
A UPS is good for power fluctuations and brownouts. They also allow for gracefully shutting down when confronting an outage that may last for hours. But there is always the chance of an outage that outlasts the capacity of the UPS when nobody is around to shut things down.

... factory default it then restore my config file ...
I would think that's the best last-ditch solution. When a UPS can't keep you going and a power down / power up doesn't fix things, reset and restore.

Note to self: Having the config backup on a NAS is pretty stupid. Fix that!

The issue(s) happens when there is a power outage. A UPS would prevent many of those occurrences from affecting the network infrastructure.

Even when the outage outlasts the capacity of the UPS' batteries, it still prevents surges, brownouts, and other harmful anomalies from reaching your network equipment.

Seeing that you've seen this issue over at least two routers now, I would buy a UPS, and then do a full reset (M&M Config) and do NOT use a saved backup config file, and see how your network behaves afterward.

All the previous power surges/brownouts etc. may have put a permanent glitch in your router's firmware (once again).

I think most of us include wired and wireless clients as connected to the LAN. That had me confused at first.

I agree w/L&LD for network stability you need the modem & router on UPS. But something else is going on here. It makes no sense that wireless clients can connect to WAN but wired clients can't. Are you sure that all wireless connect, and not just phones? Regarding phones, are you sure they aren't just switching to cellular data?
While this is happening, does the router's gui say Internet Status: Connected?
Seems to me that fixing the problem by restoring a config says something is wrong with NVRAM. Is it near full?

Close to it, 58881 / 65536 bytes
If the phone is not being honest about its data conenction not much I can do about that.

A UPS is good for power fluctuations and brownouts. They also allow for gracefully shutting down when confronting an outage that may last for hours. But there is always the chance of an outage that outlasts the capacity of the UPS when nobody is around to shut things down.

I would think that's the best last-ditch solution. When a UPS can't keep you going and a power down / power up doesn't fix things, reset and restore.

Note to self: Having the config backup on a NAS is pretty stupid. Fix that!

Who said anything about a NAS?

If you are already using a quality UPS, then this points to a full reset as pointed out above.

Close to it, 58881 / 65536 bytes
No, that's plenty. I was running my 68U with over 63000 used.
Without excruciating detail, all you'll get here are WAGs. There's missing some details.
An extended outage for just your property or the whole area?
What is you connection to the ISP? Modem/router combo? What DNS does your router use? Is it possible phones are using a different DNS?

No, that's plenty. I was running my 68U with over 63000 used.
Without excruciating detail, all you'll get here are WAGs. There's missing some details.
An extended outage for just your property or the whole area?
What is you connection to the ISP? Modem/router combo? What DNS does your router use? Is it possible phones are using a different DNS?

1500 CyberPower UPS with an over 2hr blackout, it took out over 100k customers.
RT-68U connected to a Bell 3000 Home Hub, 1gbit fiber. I changed the DNS (from encrypted cloudflare to open Bell auto assign DNS) with no resolve so something possibly getting corrupt in nvram.
If UPS monitoring could be added to the merlin FW with monitoring via USB and soft power off at 5-10% battery it would resolve the issue but I do not know if soft power off code exists or is even possible with these devices.

Can this situation be re-created by powering off and on your ASUS? It helps if the issue is repeatable.
Sorting some ideas out:
- since this has happened with two different ASUS router models, it is unlikely to be a hardware issue.
- the fact that it affects wired but not wifi is odd. Are you sure the phones don't connect directly to the Bell 3000?
- how is the Bell 3000 configured? Pass-through or are you also running it as a wifi-router?
- is the ASUS configured as an AP or Router?

- It doesn't happen often as I normally power cycle the router myself as it is far quicker than telling the router to reboot, in fact I've only has issues when there was a prolonged power outage, never via manually power cycling the router.
- The Bell 3000 wifi is disabled by myself from day one, I have never configured a device to access it. Both phones claim to be connected to the RT-68U.
- There is no pass-through, it is only being used for the internet connection (RT-68U wan port connected to it).
- set to router

Post 9.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!