What's new

LAN setup with AP to get remote desktop to work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gunder Sønsteby

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I have a main router (Asus RT-AC87U) and wired to that I have configured an Access Point (Asus RT-AC66U), the reason for the AP is to get larger coverage. Both Asus units are running latest version of the Asus Merlin firmware. The main router has 2 SIDs (2,4 and 5 GHz) and the AP has the same setup with 2 different SID names. My main pc is connected with wire to the main router.

When a pc is connected wirelessly to the AP I can see it connected on the main router with an IP-adress (it is marked as if it has a wired connection though). If I try to connect to it (regardless of if I use the computer name or the IP-adress) Remote Desktop is not able to connect. If the same pc is connected wirelessly directly to the main router (not through the AP) I can connect to it from my main pc without any problems.

My question is why can't I connect to the pc from my main pc when it is connected through the AP?

Thanks in advance!

Is the gateway with WIFI from your ISP?
Do you get HDCP IP addresses from the gateway?
If yes turn OFF HDCP on your Asus RT-AC87U.
You can turn OFF the WIFI on the Gateway.
Or set both ASUS in AP mode.

Last edited:
Sett both ASUS in AP mode, connect to your Gateway by cable.
Sence the ASUS is in AP mode all the wifi clients its seen as wired.

Last edited:
Sett both ASUS in AP mode, connect to your Gateway by cable.
Sence the ASUS is in AP mode all the wifi clients its seen as wired.

Yes and that is not bothering me. What is bothering me is that I can't connect to a pc connected to the AP from remote desktop. How to solve that?

You need to add a static route for the remote subnet onto the main router. By default it will only handle local addresses for its dhcp range and everything else will get sent to the default gateway. You need to tell it for the remote AP dhcp range to send it via the AP router and not the default gateway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and that is not bothering me. What is bothering me is that I can't connect to a pc connected to the AP from remote desktop. How to solve that?

Sorry, I did not see your first line..."Sett both ASUS in AP mode, connect to your Gateway by cable." I do not want to do that since I have more functionality on the Asus router. The reason why I keep the other WiFi net is to get better coverage.

You need to add a static route for the remote subnet onto the main router. By default it will only handle local addresses for its dhcp range and everything else will get sent to the default gateway. You need to tell it for the remote AP dhcp range to send it via the AP router and not the default gateway.

Do not quite understand what you say because the 87U handles the DHCP-function for the AP as well. Therefore I do not understand why you refer to a remote subnet, is not the AP on the same subnet as the 87U?

Even if I do not understand why they are on different subnets, how do I add a such static route?

Wath happend if you turned off the DHCP on the AC87U?
Then you should get IP from the Gateway DHCP.
You can also bridge the Gateway ask you ISP to do that
Then should would work as a modem, and you can have your own Router behind to deliver the IPs.

Is the Gateway/Modem a Technicolor TG799VAC?
You can also change the range for IP on you Gateway like in the picture so that it suits you.
Or you can even turn off the DHCP in your gateway.
lan-69299.jpg

Last edited:
Wath happend if you turned off the DHCP on the AC87U?
Then you should get IP from the Gateway DHCP.
You can also bridge the Gateway ask you ISP to do that
Then should would work as a modem, and you can have your own Router behind to deliver the IPs.

Is the Gateway/Modem a Technicolor TG799VAC?
You can also change the range for IP on you Gateway like in the picture so that it suits you.
Or you can even turn off the DHCP in your gateway.
lan-69299.jpg

From the pc connected to the AP I can see the whole network behind the Asus 87U and I can connect to the computer that is wired to the Asus 87U. From the wired pc I do not see the pc connected to the AP.

I tried to unplug the WAN cable from the Asus 87U that did not change anything in the LAN.

Why do you believe that the ISP Gateway makes the problems?

The gateway is not a Technicolor TG799VAC.

I like the setup with the two DHCP servers as I have i now; on the Asus 87U I have VPN and other network functionality, if it is speed I am after I can connect to the ISP gateway directly.

Are the both ASUS Routers connected to the Gateway or are AC66U connected to the AC87U?
If so wath ports are you using from the Gateway to AC87U?
And wath ports are you using from AC87U to the AC66U (AP)?

The AC66U must know that Default Gateway is the AC87U (192.168.1.1).
And the AC87U must know that Default Gateway is the Gateway/modem IP.

Wath is your settings on AC87U and AC66U?

Last edited:
Are the both ASUS Routers connected to the Gateway or are AC66U connected to the AC87U?
If so wath ports are you using from the Gateway to AC87U?
And wath ports are you using from AC87U to the AC66U (AP)?

The gateway from the ISP is wired to the WAN port of the Asus 87U. The AP (Asus 66U) is connected to the Asus 87U through one LAN port on each of the two both devices. So there is no direct connection from Asus 66U to the ISP's gateway.

Was that clarifying?

@pege63 You appear to be confused. The @Gunder Sønsteby is not trying to connect through from the internet. Therefore how his gateway device is setup is irrelevant. He is trying to connect LAN to LAN.

His reply to @Pericynthion is correct. If the 66U is in AP mode then it is part of the same subnet and therefore doesn't need any additional routing.

Well if his Gateway has 10.0.0.1 and gives the AC87U a IP range from the same subnet lets say the AC87U gets 10.0.0.2.
Wath i know, i dont know his settings, then the AP (AC66U) must know wath the Default Gateway is (AC87U).

Well if his Gateway has 10.0.0.1 and gives the AC87U a IP range from the same subnet lets say the AC87U gets 10.0.0.2.
Wath i know, i dont know his settings, then the AP (AC66U) must know wath the Default Gateway is (AC87U).

I think we're all saying the same thing thing. As long as they are all getting IP addresses from the same scope, they are part of the same layer3 domain so the router should ARP accordingly and all pass back to the same default gateway anyway.

Simple test - can you ping the Remote Desktop machine connected to the AP? If yes then it proves the routing is ok and it may be something to do with the RDP protocol itself.

Yes better to reset both ASUS routers and start over first with just the AC87U connected to Gateway/modem, look wath ip you get and see if it works.
Then connect the AP AC66U to the AC87U, see if it works.
He can also change the IP on the Gateway from 10.0.0.1 let say 192.168.1.1, se wath happend then.
Here is a help to Connecting two routers wired to create a single LAN

16299299_1348920345170688_5970869598685955983_n.jpg

Last edited:
He has already said "The gateway uses 192.168.10.xxx range, while the Asus router uses 192.168.1.xxx range."

@Gunder Sønsteby

@pege63 does raise an interesting point. What socket on the AC66U are you using? If it's the WAN port, try using LAN port 1 instead (or vice versa). It shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.:)

Again, it shouldn't make a difference, but try turning off the firewall on your Window's PC.