What's new

LAN Speed issue - advice needed for noob

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gmandj

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have a RT-AC86U and was on 100mbps connection. Had no issues for few months.

Suddenly after upgrading my line to 350mbps yesterday morning, I'm only getting 160mpbs maximum on speedtest.net on the LAN (new Cat 7 cables through TP-Link 1200mbps Powerlines).
However on my OnePlus phone, on the same speedtest, I'm getting 380mbps! (my ISP is known for giving a little more on the bandwidth so thats normal as I used to always get 110mbps on my old subscription).

I've just tried the new firmware from Asus and it hasn't helped, still 160 max. I also changed some settings as per some chaps recommendations where he claims it solves his same issue (didn't help either) and where also some other chap linked to this forum and recommended the merlin firmware. The same chap mentioned that he thinks there an issue with the AC86U for throttling download speed.

i should also mention that my upload is not affected. Im getting a steady 40mbps up.

I'm really scratching my head as to what it could be.

I'm only getting 160mpbs maximum on speedtest.net on the LAN (new Cat 7 cables through TP-Link 1200mbps Powerlines).
That sounds about right for throughput over powerline adapters. Test again with an Ethernet cable plugged directly into the router from a PC/laptop.

So I wasted money getting the 1200mbps powerlines? I should've just went for 500mb ones then?
Why would they rate them as 1200mbps - thats grim.

So I wasted money getting the 1200mbps powerlines? I should've just went for 500mb ones then?
Why would they rate them as 1200mbps - thats grim.
These numbers are over inflated just like wifi, speed they mention is only achieved under ideal lab conditions.

Might have to start drilling some holes in the ceilings then and run ethernet cables to upstairs.

The speeds the PLA's are rated for are not the issue. The issue is in your home wiring, which is variable for everyone (even within a home). Ethernet LAN cable runs will solve all this quickly. Buy a tall plant (real or fake) and hide the cables snaking up the wall(s). :)

Might have to start drilling some holes in the ceilings then and run ethernet cables to upstairs.
Before drilling any holes do the test I suggested earlier just to make sure there isn't some other problem.

As others have said it really depends on you mains wiring and the distances involved. If you were to put your two PLAs next to each other in a dual wall socket I'm sure you would get the maximum throughput.

Also, make sure your PLAs are plugged directly into the wall sockets and not into an extension strip. And try moving one of the PLAs to another socket in the same room. When I did this my speed increased dramatically because each socket was on a different circuit.

PLA will only ever achieve maximum throughput on outlets on the same circuit. There will be significant drop across circuits.

Your power grid is divided in groups with individual circuit breakers (per circuit). Any "hop" between circuits will cost you speed. The type of copper cables used have an influence too. Too many variables to mention but in the end having a connection in a dead corner is your goal, having that speed advertized on the box of the PLA at all times is not possible. (the same with routers btw, the further you go, the lesser your connection speed). Further do not be focussed on the connection speed itself, if the throughput is acceptable you are still good to go.

Hi all,
A huge thank you for all your replies.
the issue was indeed the powerlines. I ordered a 20m Cat7 cable (overkill as Cat 6 and 15m wouldve done in hindsight)
Running a speed test with the cable direct from my Asus router to the PC gives me around 380mbps.
Interestingly, I haven't seen much different in ping times. Quite impressive that from the powerlines. However like you all said above, the speed is crushed going through the electric sockets.
i wonder what speed they would give on a 1gbps line. Is 160mbps their max, even though they say they are rated to 1gbps. Hmm.