What's new

LCP Terminated by peer - frequent disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Penguinapple1

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

I don't know whether the problem that I am having is to do with my modem, router or with my internet service provider, however, I see the LCP terminated by peer message in my RT-AC68U's router log every now and again and it occurs the same time when my internet goes down for 3 seconds to 1 minute. I cannot seem to post my router log through this forum as it won't go through so I have pasted the log when it disconnects on my google docs. Here is the link to my google docs document showing the router log when it disconnects:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YVlYBkfHepHZrctsUB0mwocU8RXjy2fnN237NZECR5w/edit?usp=sharing

I would like to note that my TP-Link TD-W8960N modem doesn't disconnect and I have asked my ISP to do a full line check and they have found no issues.

Any help would be very much appreciated to find out the issue

Thanks!

I see the LCP terminated by peer message

If one sees the LCP Terminated by Peer - that means the remote end initiated the disconnect... in other words, they hung up the session...

Nothing you can do much on your end - it's all on the ISP.

If one sees the LCP Terminated by Peer - that means the remote end initiated the disconnect... in other words, they hung up the session...

Nothing you can do much on your end - it's all on the ISP.

Thanks, so would you say with 99-100% certainty that the issue is not with the RT-AC68U but with the ISP - as I am near the 30 days to be able to return and replace the Asus if necessary and I would like to be certain that the issue is not on my end but on the ISP's end.

EDIT: I am actually 30 days over as I thought it was October but it's actually Septermber when I purchased it. Still have the normal Asus warranty though.

Thanks

Last edited:
Look a bit earlier in the syslog - just before you see that LCP Terminated by peer, you should see a TermReq entry with an ID=<some hex value>

That hex value is helpful for both the community here and your ISP's support team...

The TermReq can be issued by either end of the link, and this should shed light on your problem.

Look a bit earlier in the syslog - just before you see that LCP Terminated by peer, you should see a TermReq entry with an ID=<some hex value>

That hex value is helpful for both the community here and your ISP's support team...

The TermReq can be issued by either end of the link, and this should shed light on your problem.

The odd thing about it is that I cannot seem to find that TermReq entry anywhere - and I've been searching the entire system log for it -nowhere to be seen. The thing prior to it is one of these dnsmasq -DHCP messages:

Nov 19 21:27:03 dnsmasq-dhcp[432]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.2.244 30:f7:c5:0a:24:ee iPhone

Nov 19 21:35:19 pppd[485]: LCP terminated by peer

Nov 19 21:35:19 pppd[485]: Connect time 17.8 minutes.

I also noticed that when I turned on my iPad earlier all of a sudden the entire internet connection on the network went down - I went to check the log and sure enough there was one of those LCP terminated by peer messages - prior to that it was just one of those dnsmasq-dhcp messages showing my iPad connected to the network a minute or so earlier. - The iPad thing could just be coincidental but I thought it would be best to note it.

Last edited:
I have run my TP-Link all in one router today to compare and the connection has been up all day on that router, I have also reset and updated the Asus and yet again just 10 minutes ago the LCP terminated by peer message appeared yet again and my connection went down for about a minute, I also cannot seem to find the Termreq entry anywhere which is also very odd.

Any ideas guys? What should I do?

Any ideas guys? What should I do?
You don't say what version of the firmware you are using but I'll assume it's Merlin's latest.

Try using the Asus recovery mode to flash John's fork. The codebase is sufficiently different that it could help you track down the source of the problem.

You don't say what version of the firmware you are using but I'll assume it's Merlin's latest.

Try using the Asus recovery mode to flash John's fork. The codebase is sufficiently different that it could help you track down the source of the problem.

Thanks, the current firmware version is 380.63_2. - I will look into flashing that John's fork onto it and see what it says when it happens.

Well, I just found out that I cannot load John's fork firmware on the Asus as it is the rev C1 hardware version which isn't compatible with it. What else can I do at this point?

I alse encouter this issuse on ac3100 router.tree times on the 18 days run.
I now add ppp options debug,let we look at the debug log.