What's new

LG NAS N4B2 Install CD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bill Lohrer

New Around Here
Does anyone have the CD for an LG N4B2 NAS that they could possibly make an ISO of and I could download? I am trying to reuse my N4B2, but I cannot find the disk that goes inside the NAS to start the install portion of the setup.

I am not looking for the NAS finder software for PC, but the actual disk that goes in the blueray drive of the NAS to get it to the point that is up and running for configuration.

Many thanks to anyone that can help!

B

No that is software that installs backup software after the NAS is setup... In the LG documentation the CD I am looking for is referred to as the "LG NAS Installer" cd....

Thank you though...

I truly hope you will find someone that will create that iso for you.

At this point, I would be more inclined to get a 'real' NAS instead.

QNAP or Synology.

Thanks. It was replaced with a qnap, which is why I am trying to repurpose it for something else with different drives....

Yes, unfortunately none of the LG NAS systems on ebay are the same model as mine... the smaller two bay systems used an ARM processor... The one I have uses an Intel Atom processor...

I would guess that the installer is the same though (it should install the code needed by the processor in use)? Worth a shot, imo.

Does anyone have the CD for an LG N4B2 NAS that they could possibly make an ISO of and I could download? I am trying to reuse my N4B2, but I cannot find the disk that goes inside the NAS to start the install portion of the setup.

I am not looking for the NAS finder software for PC, but the actual disk that goes in the blueray drive of the NAS to get it to the point that is up and running for configuration.

Many thanks to anyone that can help!

B

Hi Bill, did you have any success tracking down the LG NAS installer disc for your N4B2? I am in a similar situation where I have to start again with the NAS and the .iso seems to be the only option to restore my drive and an elusive one at that!

If anyone is still interested in this...

The original install disk (aka "enclosure disk") installs the software, version 2472.518, which is dated 2010. There are "firmware" updates to original install, versions 2572.572 and 2672.625, which fix some things and make some improvements. These two are ".bin" files and use the "firmware update" option on the LG-NAS GUI when using a browser to talk directly to the NAS at it's IP address. The "firmware" gets updated, but your data remains intact (but I would backup your data just to be careful.)

There is another set of updates that begins with an update called "New User Interface Firmware NS2 B2B Common 10072", aka Version 10072 (new nomenclature). When you open that .zip file, it contains a text file with installation instructions and an ".iso" file, that you must create a bootable CD-ROM from the image file (not just copy the .iso file to a CD-ROM). There are two follow-on "firmware" updates (10119 and 10124), but they are ".bin" files. 10124 is dated 2015 and is the last firmware update that I am aware of.

First: YOU MUST BACKUP YOUR DATA OR YOU WILL LOSE IT. 10072 reformats the hard drives.

To install 10072 and the new GUI / UI, the system initializes like the initial install (power up while depressing the "S" button on the front) including reformatting the hard drives.

It has a new user interface and you lose some capability, but I believe it installs a newer version of the Linux operating system (a file on the new install disk says "Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala").

My hypothesis, which I will check in a month (or so) when I save up enough to buy 4 more 2TB hard drives, is that you could skip the initial install (2472.518), and boot/install right to version 10072, then the two "minor" (.bin) updates. Specifically, I speculate that you don't need to track down a copy of the original install disk / enclosure disk to get started. All you need to do is download the New UI / 10072 "firmware update" , cut the CD-ROM, and install directly.