What's new

Limiting number of replies in a thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Adamm So you know what I would like to do. Do you have a compromise to offer?

The same process that has made this community thrive the past 6+ years. You've made your point clear you would personally prefer to see smaller threads, so let those of us who agree with your line of thought do that and the rest of us continue handling our threads how we prefer. There's no need to reinvent the wheel when the system currently works just fine. If I'm okay with personally supporting a megathread, you should be okay with it.

OK, I am also with @Adamm in that we should be allowed to continue however we think we best serve our and the readers needs on this forum.
I bring up another point: External links. Most, if not all of us, link to the release thread here on SNB from GitHub and in my case from my website for support it will ne an ever changing URL, which we would have to maintain with each new release thread.
This is actually the reason why I stopped posting new threads. It's additional work for no gain. Linking just the forum leaves new users bewildered where to read or post a new question.

I am now also in favor of being allowed to maintain the status quo with our threads.

I don't see this as a detriment to script writers at all. You now have your own sub-forum and major scripts have eye-catching tags to draw attention.

Would it be useful if I had one thread for each product type? How about putting all posts for wireless routers into one big ol' thread? Or maybe I should just merge all AddOns into one thread?

Why not look at this as an opportunity to present a more user-friendly experience for people discovering your script for the first time? Create an introductory sticky post that you can update over time and direct users to specific topic threads.

Allowing threads with multi-thousand posts is sloppy moderation and that's on me. Now that I've discovered the problem I'm addressing it.
I find it hard to believe that you never noticed the long running large threads we run on your forum. John's fork thread is 560 pages long with 11150 replies and has been around since August 2014. Almost noone ever posts a new thread elsewhere than that mega-thread for his fork. The users are trained and know where to look for and seek for answers.

I don't write here anymore due to lack of time to follow the threads (80%) and some bad in my opinion administration decisions (20%). I may lose interest to read here if the key threads become split in multiple pieces. When I need to check something quickly I just go to "the thread". Forum search tool is horrible, but it shows some results after some playing around with proper key words. Searching inside a single thread is faster and easier, actually. Limiting the threads length is going to make things only worse and some interesting situations are expected. For example:

- breaking a conversation in the middle - "can't answer your question in thread X because your post number was 200, so let's continue in thread Y"
- quotes of posts from different threads - "in thread X you mentioned something, but it's locked now... here is what I think about it in thread Y"
- ASUS guys posting a beta FW feedback thread - "up to 200 posts feedback only guys or your thread will be locked after, sorry"
- Merlin FW threads split per issue due to posts limitation - "sorry for posting in 3 different threads, but I have issues with jffs, WiFi and my USB stick"
- minor script version update, from 12.02 to 12.03 - "new thread Y guys, found a typo in version 12.02 discussed in thread X... fixed, sorry"
- the latest thread on top of the page is for 2 years old FW/script - "sorry guys, had no time to update lately, but I'm following the forum rules"
- answering same questions from different members - "I did answer already in thread X, in thread Y and also in thread Z... and I don't remember where"
- multiple threads with the same name/subject - "thread X_1, then X_2, followed by X_3 and so on... people still want to say/share something"
- locked threads don't mean much anymore - "was it auto locked because it hit 200 posts or someone locked it? Hmm... let me make a new one"
- unanswered questions - " I did asked the same question in threads X, Y and Z, but by the time I come back they were already locked... wtf?"

I don't like forums with multiple locked threads. For whatever reason. As already mentioned above, the search tool needs work. This is the only improvement needed. Tim, better listen to people who keep this forum alive. Without them SNB is EOL.

My experience in this forum its a great place to be. So I also get scared when changes happen. My personal use of this forum, is looking around random for it is so much to learn on this forum. What I follow closley is @kamoj betatesting and the releases of Voxel. I can understand the idea on Voxels monthly releases that he have choosen to create new thread for finished releases. At the same time @kamoj is making the fine tuning for home networking and is releasing new beta versions regularly in a mega thread. I am following that tread closely and that is the reason I log in every so often. So for me if @kamoj want a mega thread and that helps him, then I want it to. I dont want to disturb his work of art. For me I think let the artists decide their presentations and the forum will be happy:) It's great creations that happen here.

If you consider your sub forum to be the equivalent of a mega thread, then in the end it makes finding useful information much easier. If you have a mega thread, then what's the point of a sub forum? A sub forum with one thread makes no sense.

When I looked at install a particular script and saw a mega thread of 500+ posts, I had no clue where the "important" stuff began, so I just gave up.

Ultimately, I'm not a fan of picking an arbitrary number of posts or pages, but having been involved with forums going back before the internet (BBS days or even before that), I would be happier if those responsible for the threads realised the value in segmenting the information to make it easily digestible by novices and experts. Similarly, when I developed product manuals, we always developed a set of manuals, not a single mega book.

While feedback like "I installed it and no problem after 5 minutes" may be useful for a period of days, it has no value once something else gets updated, or a month or so later, other than to require scrolling past, which isn't always easy on phones or tablets, and becomes tedious. I have participated a lot less in the past few months for this very reason.

<snip> Forum search tool is horrible <snip>...
<snip > As already mentioned above, the search tool needs work. This is the only improvement needed.<snip>

and that ^^^ is the real issue... period...

in many instances, asking/instructing a new user to 'search' for the already answered issue, is equivalent to telling them to 'piss off'...

Last edited:
The thread reply limit will be enabled on November 1. I'll be enabling an improved search sometime this weekend.

I bring up another point: External links. Most, if not all of us, link to the release thread here on SNB from GitHub and in my case from my website for support it will ne an ever changing URL, which we would have to maintain with each new release thread.

A couple of alternatives I can suggest:

1) Use an URL that contains a filter in it. For example:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin-addons.60/?prefix_id=10

2) Have one "master" thread, from which you can link to the latest release thread inside the first post. Even if that master thread ends up a few pages down the list, it would still allow people referred to it through an external link to quickly reach the latest release thread. That's a bit similar to how Voxel handles things (though he mostly just refer to the previous few builds), and also how Mozillazine handled release threads if I recall (posting a link to the previous thread).

3) Pointing directly at the sub-forum itself without a prefix filter applied, if you want one link for all of your addons (the new prefix system should make it easy to spot the important threads now that there is a dedicated sub-forum).

For now the route I went for my own documentation is to point at the AddOns subforum. I will probably use the first option of applying a filter for any application-specific link (for instance if someone asks me about Diversion itself through email or Twitter). I feel this method actually is the most user-friendly, because it allows users to quickly see all the available discussions related to the addon that interests them, not just the latest release.

The thread reply limit will be enabled on November 1

Does community feedback mean nothing to you? Your persistence in this issue seems very short sighted...

The thread reply limit will be enabled on November 1. I'll be enabling an improved search sometime this weekend.
When we login on Nov 1, will it just look like all the “popular” threads have been locked without explanation? Just wondering how “infrequent visitors” would find the state of things around here if they haven’t followed this thread.

Obviously, the wise move would be to create new threads before Nov 1, but it’s a jarring change if it all happens at once.

One of the most popular development forums has a thread with >147K replies and >32M views. The administration has no issue with it whatsoever. The number of posts and views indicates forum members have no issue with it either. The need to go back 3-4-5 pages to catch what the latest content is about is exactly the same in a thread with 10 pages and in a thread with 10000 pages. The last 3-4-5 pages are always the last 3-4-5 pages anyway.

It seems more like you've engineered a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Make sure you reply in at least 3 different threads. No more 3 quotes in a single post. 3 x free (time) still equals free support and development. No?

A couple of alternatives I can suggest:

1) Use an URL that contains a filter in it. For example:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin-addons.60/?prefix_id=10

2) Have one "master" thread, from which you can link to the latest release thread inside the first post. Even if that master thread ends up a few pages down the list, it would still allow people referred to it through an external link to quickly reach the latest release thread. That's a bit similar to how Voxel handles things (though he mostly just refer to the previous few builds), and also how Mozillazine handled release threads if I recall (posting a link to the previous thread).

3) Pointing directly at the sub-forum itself without a prefix filter applied, if you want one link for all of your addons (the new prefix system should make it easy to spot the important threads now that there is a dedicated sub-forum).

For now the route I went for my own documentation is to point at the AddOns subforum. I will probably use the first option of applying a filter for any application-specific link (for instance if someone asks me about Diversion itself through email or Twitter). I feel this method actually is the most user-friendly, because it allows users to quickly see all the available discussions related to the addon that interests them, not just the latest release.
I have a feeling that we were tricked into this new forum just to impose more challenges and hurdles upon us.
The speed at which we are now forced into changing long lasting working procedures is really worrying me.
Why the sudden change and why are we - the content and discussion creators - blatantly ignored when asked in this very suggestion box for opinions?
It just does not feel right after all these happy years on this board for me.

Does community feedback mean nothing to you? Your persistence in this issue seems very short sighted...
This. Why bother posting in the suggestion box when the decision was already made?

Users will see no difference on the threads. Threads exceeding the reply limit will not be locked, so threads and posts can be edited as they are now.

When a user tries to reply over the thread limit, an error message will pop up explaining that the maximum number of posts has been reached and asking the user to start a new thread.

Users will see no difference on the threads. Threads exceeding the reply limit will not be locked, so threads and posts can be edited as they are now.

When a user tries to reply over the thread limit, an error message will pop up explaining that the maximum number of posts has been reached and asking the user to start a new thread.

And again the concerns of users who helped build this community and who drive a majority of the sites daily traffic are being blantently ignored.

It’s really starting to appear there is an underlying motive to this change that’s being hidden...

Gentlemen,

I run this forum with a light touch. The only thing I ask in return is civil behavior and that you look at some ads to help pay the bills.

There are some decisions, however, that are mine to make, such as removing Tapatalk, limiting signature size, not allowing links or images in sigs, not allowing messages in profile posts, limiting the size of posted images (which I recently increased in response to a suggestion) and general forum organization.

Both SNBForums and SmallNetBuilder also do not participate in any social networks and have no sharing buttons for these services. I don't sell or share your data. This forum even hosts discussions that enable users to block ads, the only thing that keeps this site running. Think about that last one for a second, while you accuse me of a hidden agenda.

I may have lost some users as a result of these choices, but that's the risk I take.

I have listened to your feedback, which amounts to "I want things to remain the same". I have offered to listen to a compromise and the only thing offered was "I want things to remain the same".

You have asked that search be improved. I will be implementing that.

There was no evil intent or hidden agenda behind this change. I explained my reason in the first post of this thread. The move of AddOns to their own sub-forum was intended to improve forum organization and bring focus to a subject area that I felt deserved it. As I have said, the thread limit is being implemented across all forums, so there is no "trick" involved or punishment aimed at a particular community.

If some of you choose to move off this platform as a result of this change, I'll be sorry to see you go. I wish you continued success with your projects no matter what your decision.

And I moved this thread to "Other Discussions" to prevent any further confusion.

I have listened to your feedback, which amounts to "I want things to remain the same". I have offered to listen to a compromise and the only thing offered was "I want things to remain the same".

The compromise is quite straight forward in my eyes, one of two options;

1) Don’t apply these changes to existing threads so they grandfather the old limits.
2) Don’t apply this change to the addon subforum.

I think either of these options would keep all users happy and is a fair compromise.

compromise

noun

an agreement or settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.

The move of AddOns to their own sub-forum was intended to improve forum organization and bring focus to a subject area that I felt deserved it.
I have been curious why AddOns is at the same forum level as Asuswrt-Merlin, and not a sub-forum of Asuswrt-Merlin? If someone searches the Asuswrt-Merlin forum (vs. Everywhere), they won’t find the Addon threads that are up-and-over one level.

I have been curious why AddOns is at the same forum level as Asuswrt-Merlin, and not a sub-forum of Asuswrt-Merlin? If someone searches the Asuswrt-Merlin forum (vs. Everywhere), they won’t find the Addon threads that are up-and-over one level.
It was placed at the same level so that it would appear in the overall Forum and ASUS sub-forum views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!