What's new

Limiting number of replies in a thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If folks can't make a decision in two weeks - how is 2 months going to make any difference.

I was only providing my input. At the end of the day, its up to thiggins and it seems the decison is final.

@thiggins, what do you need to keep the forum running as it is at the moment? Your changes do not improve the user experience in any way.

@sfx2000 in posts 77-78-79-80 is demonstrating the new posting style after up to 200 characters per post limitation. Is this one coming next?

@sfx2000 in posts 77-78-79-80 is demonstrating the new posting style after up to 200 characters per post limitation. Is this one coming next?

One can be quite concise in a few words ;)

sfx

This forum even hosts discussions that enable users to block ads, the only thing that keeps this site running. Think about that last one for a second, while you accuse me of a hidden agenda.
This is probably very close to touching the critical nerve, in my opinion. All of us whiners probably run Diversion, which despite its best intentions to whitelist ads for snbforums.com still blocks the ads.

If we consider the unintended consequences of building a thriving community of ad-blocking router enthusiasts who generate real hosting costs but no ad revenue, what is our economic leverage in trying to influence the outcomes here?

I’m not trying to say this is Tim’s motivation now, but it makes me feel like the party guest who showed up, brought friends, ate all the food, stayed too long, and didn’t bring at least a bottle of wine for the host.

Or are y’all better at whitelisting ads on this forum than I am?

I’m not trying to say this is Tim’s motivation now, but it makes me feel like the party guest who showed up, ate all the food, stayed too long, and didn’t bring at least a bottle of wine for the host.

I came yesterday. I have a nice bottle in my pocket. One voice is telling me to leave it, another to take it away. Without ads the forum is dying slowly. Without key developers it dies instantly. Some home owners think multiple trees of the same type make the back yard look better. I'm not sure what is going on at the moment. The second voice is telling me the changes are not user experience related at all.

You @dave14305 came to the party with a full of wine pick-up truck. What are you talking about? If the host doesn't like your wine, just drive away.

I buy many things from Amazon and use the SNB link to support this site even if not router or electronics related. We will see what the future holds...

You @dave14305 came to the party with a full of wine pick-up truck. What are you talking about? If the host doesn't like your wine, just drive away.
I’ve been an ad-blocker most of my time here. I just had to whitelist 19 Amazon, Google and other miscellaneous domains to finally see ads on this site tonight. Let’s see how it goes.

I'm the one who asked Tim to create a separate forum for addons. The reasons I felt it was due for that was:

a) The increasing number of addons and discussions relative to these addons
b) Give more visibility to those less popular addons that quickly sank on page 10 (like Adamm's FW building script)
c) Encourage more threads to be created to discuss addons in general

It certainly helped for the visibility, an Asus engineer specifically mentioned to me in an Email that he had noticed the new subforum, and that he had been taking a personal look at some of these addons (we even discussed more in depth at least one of these specific addons).

So no, moving addons to a separate forum had absolutely nothing to do with secret agendas or to make things more difficult. That particular change was on me (and of course had to be accepted by Tim), and I felt it was appropriate for these reasons.

I have no issue with the new add ons thread, seems logical to me.

FWIW, being able to trawl through pages of guff relating to a new script that has attracted my attention is great. I learn not just what the script does, but why. Also, how it got to its current state of development.

I buy many things from Amazon and use the SNB link to support this site even if not router or electronics related. We will see what the future holds...
I guess I never noticed but is there a donation link to support the website? I've never paid too much attention to this but maybe there's a way to advertise this on the home screen or a banner somewhere.

Back in my younger days, one of my friends used to support the old "xbox360iso" website to keep the content coming. Just a thought I guess.

When it's all said and done:

The Emperor:
Do what must be done, lord Vader! Do not hesitate! Show no mercy!

I’ve been an ad-blocker most of my time here.

You are one of the core members of this forum. The ads are in between the content you generate. If you do nothing where the ads are going to be displayed? The host keeps existing because of your participation in the party. Latest "What's new" on SNB website is from May 27, 2020. Your content is much more valuable for the host than the few domains you have whitelisted.

I can see both sides of this disagreement. One thing that comes to mind with the limits would be when threads get off-topic. I know I am guilty of going off topic at times. I wouldn't want an off topic statement asking about a vacation, personal movie, etc...be the reason a helpful thread gets locked. That was one of the things that made me start replying and voicing my thoughts on these threads. Having those moments with developers allow us mere users to truly interact on a personal level with them. I check SNBforums hourly if not more, either to have a "nerd conversation" with other nerds, help debug a developed script, update my nerd knowlege with others who have similar thoughts, or to check what has changed on my favorite scripts/firmware. My two cents on the limit but I have to hope that we can all make it work for the greater good. 2020 has been a difficult year for many of us and I would hate to see some of you go for one reason or another.

I think the option should be there for both.

Make the change default going forward but allow the addon developers to keep their mega threads.

Just like you intend to have a message come up saying a thread has now met its maximum post count.

Have a message for megathreads that will give some quick pointers on what to expect when you enter one.

Last edited:
I was mistaken earlier, I hadn't actually looked at the add-on setup.

If there was a dedicated sub forum for each individual major add-ons, would this not be better than a mega thread? Surely a sub forum dedicated to one topic would allow for better flexibility (and negate the desire and need for prolonged threads). Is this an option?

People hate change, but I'm pretty sure the majority will come to realise the benefits over time. Threats to pull out sound like the old "I'm taking my ball and going home". Face it, with @RMerlin here, you would be silly to not at least try the new way. There have been many things that you have already adapted to. The phrase "if it ain't broke..." Is ridiculous in this context as you are developing scripts, why develop it further if it aint broke? :)

The only issue I really see with long threads is when useful discussion gets buried. But that itself is only really an issue when OP's don't get updated, and, the community takes a strict stance of "use search". I personally have not noticed any of these issues on this forum.

For every addon I have tried here, the OP's have provided all of the necessary detail to get it working. Seriously, you guys should be commended for this. There's the OP to get it installed, then follow up posts for usage/FAQ's etc. This is exemplary.
And concurrently, I've never felt guilty of asking a question rather then trying to search the problem first, and have always received a useful answer to my questions (even if they've likely been asked before).

I have used the search function here, and it does leave something to be desired, in my opinion. It seems to return to many unrelated posts. This is a minor issue IMO, and would be thankful for the discussed changes with the search functionality.

I think the segregation of the addons to their own subforum is great*, and I agree with the reasons given, in that it provides more exposure to the addons. But I'm banging my head against the wall trying to understand how implementing a rule to create more threads, potentially significantly more threads, assists with exposure. Could end up with an entire page of threads related to 1 or 2 addons, leading to the same issue that started it all. ??

* My only gripe is being able to get back to the merlin section. I would personally prefer some direct link back to the merlin section from the addon section.

I've read the entire thread here and see good points with both views (limit thread length or leave as is). At this point it sounds to me like "leave as is" has left the station, which is the owner's prerogative after all. Personally, I like having access to all the historical technical knowledge that exists in the long threads. While they are not always pleasant to comb thorough I have always found an answer, usually an answer that seemingly exists nowhere else on the 'net. That is the good thing about SNBForums, knowledge found nowhere else. What would happen to all that knowledge? Bit bucket? Searchable archives? I would guess that 90% of what I look for here pertains to add-on support and knowledge and the remainder to do with merlin FW. If the add-ons feel they need to go elsewhere for their reasons, I will follow because that is where my interests and needs lie. I would still sporadically visit SNBForums for merlin info but nothing else. And thanks to thiggins for offering to fix the search. That has always been horrible.

I had my morning coffee going through this 5 pages and I've noticed the involvement regarding this matter came mostly from moderators and very little from regular users as I am.
As a personal opinion I don't mind going through long threads looking for the right answer or sometimes discovering something new - maybe not necessary related to the thread - or reading posts about Dave holiday ;). It became a habit for myself to go daily through watched threads and discover new things or to check what advancements have been made regarding a certain add-on.
Let's not forget that we are a community and we need to interact with each other. What I've noticed among this forum users is that the moderators don't really mind if the same questions is asked like 100 times and they are getting involved and they do answer every single query and they are trying to help as much as possible - which I find it wonderful.
I am not saying that limiting the thread posts might be a bad idea ( the add-on subforum is great as you can quickly see in 4 pages what addons are available) but I don't like to see the disagreement created within the developers with some of them saying will leave the forum ... and this will be such a great loss for all of us and I really don't see why this needs to happen for such a little thing as - thread limiting posts. Let's not forget what a great community we are and how many things this community achieved so far.
Hope everyone will reconsider their position regarding this and you will can continue to develop and thrive on the same formula ... or better.
Best.

geez, why not cut to the chase here kids and do what works... throw some money at the problem/admin... as a user of these plastic router toys that I leverage to save a few bucks (as opposed to paying for support contracts on pricier hardware) - why not bifurcate the 'add-ons' forum, giving the devs a separate area (with no charge to them) BUT charge a subscription to users/people like me that benefit from verbose support...

with an improved search function, the 'monster threads' become usable and allow devs to support/operate as they have...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!