What's new

Limiting number of replies in a thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'm very used to the typical forum setup that goes essentially
Forum Home -> Main level -> Segments -> Specifics

For example
Asus Wireless -> Asuswrt-Merlin -> Releases
Asus Wireless -> Asuswrt-Merlin -> Alphas
Asus Wireless -> Asuswrt-Merlin -> Betas
Asus Wireless -> Asuswrt-Merlin AddOns -> Diversion
Asus Wireless -> Asuswrt-Merlin AddOns -> AMTM

Those *could* be a few examples. The forum templates dictate the *visability* from the main page.

Each sub forum could have the appropriate "stickies". Searching can be done at any level. Information and questions would be easy to find, see, read and digest. New ideas, in development, bugs, changes etc all nicely living in individual threads instead of 1 mega monster that very few noobs (or seasoned veterans other than the actual developer) would read through. Also allows user to "watch" or " subscribe" to forums of interest to ensure they get notified of something new.

This is how 98% of the forums I've run or participated in have worked for the last 30 years.

I'm fond of this setup. On can use the bread crumbs on the top to jump around. Very clean.

Morris

There has been little comment on my new proposal to close threads after 6 months vs. 500 posts. So I'll make the choice on Nov 1. Thread lengths across the site will be limited after that point.
@thiggins
With all due respect, you did only effectively give one day of open comment period on this alternative proposal. FWIW, I would also vote for the 6 month time limit over an arbitrary number of posts, but like many others, I also did not see the problem with the old "unlimited" length threads. Many have already posted on the pros and cons of each approach, so much like @dave14305, I have mixed feelings on the alternatives, but no strong preference. I do understand from the developer's point of view the advantage of single long threads, but yes, they can be daunting for new users. Generally though, most users would likely read only the first few and the last few pages of the "epic" threads, and otherwise just use the new and improved search (thank you) to find other details.

Change is hard, as always, but we will adapt. I just hope that our most treasured add-on developers have not been so soured by this shake-up that they move their projects elsewhere (as some have alluded to), or otherwise feel "unwelcome" here. For the sake of keeping all of the relevant knowledge at least on one site rather than scattering it across multiple sites, I kindly ask that they take a deep breath and reflect on that before packing up and moving elsewhere, or (heaven forbid) dropping all development. Please just know that all of you are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It seems like there is no dialog happening here on the subject anymore. Mines are made up and feelings hurt. I personally bought an Asus RT-AC86U so I could take advantage of the scripts/tools available from a few great developers here. I use an eero system in bridge mode for good coverage throughout my house on wifi and the Asus router up front. With all the controversy between the owner of this site and the developers I have decided to remove the Asus and put the eero in router mode. I also added a Raspberry Pi for DNS ad blocking.

Now I can relax and see if my new configuration works as well as the old and let those that have vested interest cool off or come up with a new plan.

It kind of reminds me of an election that is going on right now where no one listens or cares to what the other side says but I as a single individual do have a vote and I made my decision.

I am more optimistic than that.

While this thread seems to have stalled, I hope that discussions one on one and behind the scenes are happening.

I have already stated that what @K-2SO exposed in his last post made me change my mind about the time-limits compromise I initially thought was a promising idea.

All the points made are all in favor of keeping things how they are (particularly now with the improved 'Better Search'.

The Addons subforum should be in under the RMerlin subforum.

Choice is still king. Arbitrary changes/improvements for academic improvements are just a waste of everyone's time that has so much of that precious resource invested here.

That is the summary of where things are.

I can only hope that all the suggestions and other offers of good, solid, and workable compromises are really considered before any change is made.

I was on some forum last night and saw a notice “This thread will auto-close 10 days after the last response.” I thought that was a decent policy.

I would not feel similarly.

In post No.82 I asked the question what is needed to leave the forum as it is at the moment. Got no answer. There is no discussion here. The forum needs to look more active for some reason even though the newly created threads are on the same subject. Your content is property of the owner. He may not sell your data currently, but may sell your content at once. I can make the forum ad-free, organized the way users like it, with appointed by users admins on a dedicated hardware with fast 99.9% uptime link to Internet. Mr. Eric Sauvageau has to be the sole owner of site though. No deal with Mr. Tim Higgins on board. Your private messages are monitored, your content is getting split against your will, your voice means nothing. This forum exists only because of Eric's work. He has to be the one to decide what to do with it. This is my post No.911. The emergency line is open for 24h. This is my last post on SNB.

@K-2SO that offer seems very objectionable to me, on behalf of @thiggins.

The forum exists today because of everyone's involvement directly or indirectly over the past years.

I am still hopeful that a reasonable solution can be found. If the intent is to keep the momentum and growth of this forum alive and well. And well into the future years ahead.

You keep posting even after you say you'll stop. I don't really care one way or another, but I do appreciate the times you've contributed to the forums instead of simply being divisive.

There seems to be an argument, that the only counter-argument, is that things should remain as they are. I guess the old adage of if it ain't broke.......

And frankly, the counter-argument is very compelling. By definition of the argument presented, this issue didn't get noticed until after some reorganization of thread locations, at which point suddenly this issue was noticed. So I have to ask, how much of an issue was it really?

The issue would appear to be not necessarily with thread management and it's impact on new users, but simply with opinion of how things should be organized. Which brings me to my next point.

This forum is owned and run by one individual, and that individual gets to run the forum as they see fit, including when the only person left on the forum is that one individual. Alienate the userbase at your own peril.

The forum was fine for years in it's existing format, but discussion on the topic is confined to day/s, or else iron fist. Not cool!

As the thing seems to be like stucked in the middle of swamp,why don't we just withdrawal any changes. Stay with those same old days we used to have.Once again,very hard for us to meet in here,just don't ruin it up for good. .
Argh I suggest if the thread posted by individuals inactive like 10 days,it's gonna be history.

Last edited:
Hosting, managing a forum and doing cat herding with its users is the last thing I want to add to my plate right now. So no, I have no intention of moving to my own platform anytime in the near future.

OK, I don't regret what I said in this thread nor in any other conversation or thread I participated. As mentioned, I'm not happy with the changes for the thread length or age. I did agree to the move of the Addons to a separate forum in a conversation, though the participants were not expecting the thread limitation that will get enforced starting this November at the time we had the discussion.

I also want to emphasize that I like it here on SNB Forums. It is my virtual home, my welcome distraction and also an inspiration to my demanding job that I have in the real world. I would not want to miss this coding hobby of mine and the discussions we have. Diversion and amtm are part of my life, my virtual offsprings that I deeply care about. There is no question I want to continue coding and improving my scripts, despite the setback we are about to live with here.

With that said and having made up my mind, rest assured I'm staying here with my scripts, their discussions and announcements. SNB Forums remains my primary home and I will not move elsewhere.

Last edited:
I was getting “the shakes” after the last few hours of SNB detox...whew!

Hi Dave,

It sounds like you will have to make an early visit to Coders Anonymous.

Stay well,

Morris

Well it looks like despite the majority of the community being against the changes and an even larger consensus there wasn't even an issue to begin with, they are still being forced on us regardless. So much for a "compromise" willing to be made :rolleyes:

ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you will not be able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened. Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.

Quick way to kill a community. Good luck to everyone after November 1st, I can no longer continue to support a website that cares so little for the members who the community was built around.

Well it looks like despite the majority of the community being against the changes and an even larger consensus there wasn't even an issue to begin with, they are still being forced on us regardless. So much for a "compromise" willing to be made :rolleyes:

Quick way to kill a community. Good luck to everyone after November 1st, I can no longer continue to support a website that cares so little for the members who the community was built around.

Yes, while it is true that many of us fail to agree with (or see?) the reasons behind WHY this decision has been made (or, put alternatively, what overwhelming/fundamental problem existed that pushed this "solution" upon us), it is true that it is @thiggins forum, and he makes the final call on the rules of how it is run.

@Adamm - All we can ask of you, and all of our valued developers is to please reconsider your decisions to move elsewhere or stop development, for the benefit of this community.

I don't know about you guys but I can't remember what I wrote over 6 months ago. I think it might be better to start again plus I may have learned new information which would change things. Technology changes fairly fast.

I was blocking Ads until the latest version of Windows 10 came out with browser APP blocking under security. I have tuned it on and now I have no issues running Ads. In the old days I would end up with crap on my Windows 10 PC which I would have to clean off.

Good luck to everyone after November 1st, I can no longer continue to support a website that cares so little for the members who the community was built around.

So what are your future plans regarding SkyNet? (After Nov 1)

Adamm,

This is a very small change. Just start a new thread referencing the old one and add "Part 2" etc. to it.

Life goes on,

Morris

Adamm,

This is a very small change. Just start a new thread referencing the old one and add "Part 2" etc. to it.

Life goes on,

Morris

There are much bigger implications. Skynet is discussed in 5 different languages across the web on various websites, all linking back to and referencing the master thread. 6 years of history there all going to waste because one person thinks spamming new threads weekly with every new release looks cool :rolleyes:

Staying here would also mean baking analytics directly into Skynet, a compromise I am not willing to make as it fundamentally goes against the goal of the project.

If the website was bigger maybe then I could understand these changes to an extent, but SNBForums only exists today due to the Asus-Merlin userbase, the rest of the website is dead. Tim doesn’t even try provide content himself anymore, we provide it for him. I hate to be blunt but that’s the reality of the situation. So as sole content providers for the website, if our input means nothing then clearly we have overstayed our welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!