What's new

Limiting number of replies in a thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are much bigger implications. Skynet is discussed in 5 different languages across the web on various websites, all linking back to and referencing the master thread. 6 years of history there all going to waste because one person thinks spamming new threads weekly with every new release looks cool :rolleyes:

Staying here would also mean baking analytics directly into Skynet, a compromise I am not willing to make as it fundamentally goes against the goal of the project.

If the website was bigger maybe then I could understand these changes to an extent, but SNBForums only exists today due to the Asus-Merlin userbase, the rest of the website is dead. Tim doesn’t even try provide content himself anymore, we provide it for him. I hate to be blunt but that’s the reality of the situation. So as sole content providers for the website, if our input means nothing then clearly we have overstayed our welcome.

The only way all of that goes away is if you give up the project.

Skynet provides analytics regarding what inside and hosts are at risk and what outside hosts are a risk. Have you not met that obligation?

If you walk out in a huff, the big looser will be you. The community that appreciates your work will become scattered. In the long run you will wind up probably feel even less supported. I've been in your situation in the past. Some people will follow you, others will not. If you leave you are simply hurting your own project.

It is your call Adamm,

I appreciate your work,

Morris

Skynet provides analytics regarding what inside and hosts are at risk and what outside hosts are a risk. Have you not met that obligation?
It's usage, views and posts data he's after. The numbers on his sole and only thread justify his and external parties interests on the project. I have my viewer and download stats from my website. Adamm does not. That's his point.

It's usage, views and posts data he's after. The numbers on his sole and only thread justify his and external parties interests on the project. I have my viewer and download stats from my website. Adamm does not. That's his point.

Sounds like he wants to justify advertising revenue. Would you prefer a paid subscription to the site and/or forums?

Don't know if this supports or conflicts with the original premise to cap threads because I failed to read more than the first page and the last and we appear to be on a new topic of monetizing the forum :)

I don't know what the current tools allow. If possible, and if you want to try to keep threads smaller, would it be possible to automatically create sub-topics (another directory/layer of posting on a topic) when the split is made? At least all the threads will then be collected in a single location for historical review. Another method may be to have the first post of any newly created thread base on limit include a "back link" to the parent. Just thinking out loud.

Sounds like he wants to justify advertising revenue. Would you prefer a paid subscription to the site and/or forums?

I have never accepted a dollar from any company, and between hardware costs and the countless hours spent coding/debugging/providing support I am significantly in the red.

With that being said, due to these limited analytics I have had offers to work with multiple companies, with three of those offers being competing hardware vendors wanting the script ported to their platforms wanting to replicate the enthusiast userbase we have created (which I kindly turned down out of loyalty to the Asus platform and Asus-Merlin userbase).

If I had one dollar for every Skynet user in the last 6 years... I’d probably have a much nicer car in my driveway. But instead I keep everything free without charing users, ads, “selling out” etc.

So yes, without these stats these opertunities disappear, and with that my motivation to keep it going another 6 years.

There is no benefit to this change, all it has caused is turmoil and division in this once peaceful community. If Tim can’t realise this, it speaks volumes.

We are talking about free scripts here, not the website owner. Us coders, including RMerlin, spend countless hours doing our work for free. Why do we do that you may ask - it's because we like to code and share and it fulfills a fundamental believe we all share: In open source and collaboration and the joy of seeing our efforts in use on so many routers.
None of us makes any money from advertising.

We are talking about free scripts here, not the website owner. Us coders, including RMerlin, spend countless hours doing our work for free. Why do we do that you may ask - it's because we like to code and share and it fulfills a fundamental believe we all share: In open source and collaboration and the joy of seeing our efforts in use on so many routers.
None of us makes any money from advertising.

I'm talking about the site owner, not he developers though there are donation threads for the developers. I've been down the donate if you like path and it's hardly profit.

I have never accepted a dollar from any company, and between hardware costs and the countless hours spent coding/debugging/providing support I am significantly in the red.

With that being said, due to these limited analytics I have had offers to work with multiple companies, with three of those offers being competing hardware vendors wanting the script ported to their platforms wanting to replicate the enthusiast userbase we have created (which I kindly turned down out of loyalty to the Asus platform and Asus-Merlin userbase).

If I had one dollar for every Skynet user in the last 6 years... I’d probably have a much nicer car in my driveway. But instead I keep everything free without charing users, ads, “selling out” etc.

So yes, without these stats these opertunities disappear, and with that my motivation to keep it going another 6 years.

There is no benefit to this change, all it has caused is turmoil and division in this once peaceful community. If Tim can’t realise this, it speaks volumes.

He is the site owner, Tim I believe who I feel wants stats to show value to potential advertisers

Do you feel you have over 20,000 users?

@Adamm Hard to believe this is still being discussed as a viable solution, to limit interaction. If you take the project elsewhere please make sure to announce where its going, or at least reach out to your users and let them know where its moved to if this forum disables redirection to external forums.

@Adamm Hard to believe this is still being discussed as a viable solution, to limit interaction. If you take the project elsewhere please make sure to announce where its going, or at least reach out to your users and let them know where its moved to if this forum disables redirection to external forums.
Yes @Adamm just follow other posters suggestions and link where you go in your original thread if that is what you choose. We will follow. You will not loose any Asuswrt-Merlin Base, if you do continue your project. I look forward to your continuation of your choosing. :D Thank you for keeping Asus Routers safer.

The banner just changed from future tense to present tense.
Is that you on your vacation?
Anyhow, Tim had his breakfast and is now on his second cup of...

I'm not sure what the banner is trying to tell me...

banner.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!